Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HELP - Saving images from ancestry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ann

Ann Report 15 Feb 2005 23:52

Hi All Have just discovered on 1901 ancestry census image for grandma and family - trying to save the image but will only save as ART or bitmap - using XP - how does everybody save their images??? Any help appreciated Ann

David

David Report 16 Feb 2005 00:10

Hi Ann Personally I would choose the bitmap option. Yes, the resulting file is a heck of a lot bigger, but it's a basic file format for images and can easily be converted to another smaller file format (e.g. jpg) later on. Dave PS - Bitmap/JPG files are compatible with just about anything on your puter that handles images. I don't think the same can be said for ART files - someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Ann

Ann Report 16 Feb 2005 00:13

Hi David Tried saving as bitmap but when going into my pictures no preview available so dont know what to do now Any ideas??

Padkat

Padkat Report 16 Feb 2005 00:20

Ann I agree with David, choose the BMP option. I've never heard of an ART file, don't know whic program uses it. Curious as to why you can't save as a jpg though. I use XP and don't have any probs. Are you clicking on the disk item to save or using file/save as or right clicking and save picture as? Kate PS: just had a thought. It might be that you are using the basic viewer and need to install the advanced viewer. With the basic viewer there is a totally different (and I think not very satisfactory) way of saving.

Ann

Ann Report 16 Feb 2005 00:27

Kate I am right clicking and save picture as - would it be better to use file/save at top and try it that way - which way do you do it?? Ann

Crista

Crista Report 16 Feb 2005 00:28

Ann, Are you using the Ancestry Enhanced Viewer? Crista

Padkat

Padkat Report 16 Feb 2005 00:30

Crista Snap, that thought :)

Ann

Ann Report 16 Feb 2005 00:31

No Have djvu downlowded from somewhere?? Ann

Padkat

Padkat Report 16 Feb 2005 00:31

Ann If you haven't already done so I would definitely install the advanced viewer. I haven't had any problems since I installed it and it makes viewing and saving much easier. Kate :)

Padkat

Padkat Report 16 Feb 2005 00:33

If you look at the image on Ancestry, somewhere there should be a link saying Switch To Free Enhanced Viewer . Click on this and it should start the download for you. Kate

Ann

Ann Report 16 Feb 2005 00:37

Kate Will try that thanks Ann