Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice on the LIVING!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Emma

Emma Report 15 Feb 2005 23:26

Hi, need advice on the living.....looking for a relative Muriel Walker, last known to be at 64 Dock street monkwearmouth Sunderland 1956. Walker was her maiden name... how do i find her? Dont know her married name but apparently she still lives in sunderland.

Emma

Emma Report 15 Feb 2005 23:32

ANYONE???

Emma

Emma Report 15 Feb 2005 23:36

Dont think bmd goes past 1910 or am i wrong???? she married after 1956, am stuck!!!! Brain jam!!

Emma

Emma Report 15 Feb 2005 23:39

Thankyou Peta x

Padkat

Padkat Report 15 Feb 2005 23:43

Might be worth checking the electoral roll for the area she was last known in. Or I think you can check the GRO records at most main archives (and possibly large Libraries) for more up to date marriages. I think the more recent ones give the spouses name alongside the entry. Kate :)

Emma

Emma Report 15 Feb 2005 23:50

Thankyou v much. x

Jane

Jane Report 16 Feb 2005 05:56

Emma, You could always try getting an article in a local newspaper - although as she's alive-and-kicking, it might be best to write something about her ancestors and just mention that a lady descendant is believed still to be in Sunderland and that you'd love to hear from her ... of course, you'd have to publish your phone number, but if you're sensitive about that maybe you could put your work one like I did. Out of desperation last year, I tried this approach in Norfolk - and not only was the newspaper very helpful indeed, I found a whole bunch of 2nd cousins with whom I have now swapped photos and stories! Good luck! Jane

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 16 Feb 2005 06:45

Hi, You could find her marriage on 1837 or familyrelatives (pay to view) or search the fiche at a library or record office. When you have her married name you could ask for a look up on the current electoral register. Gwynne

Karen

Karen Report 16 Feb 2005 07:21

Emma I have looked up marriages for 1956 onward and have only come up with one. I did this on the family reletives site and their index is not fully transcibed but as I had a spare couple of credits thought it was worth a go. Anyway this is what I found 4th quarter 1969 Muriel Walker spouses name is Waton and the district is Westmorld N 1b 925. It may be worth checking out, sorry could'nt help more. Karen

Carol

Carol Report 16 Feb 2005 08:59

Emma Didn't Sunderland come under Durham at one time. Found this on Durham local BMD: BURT Kendal 1960 Durham West WALKER Muriel 1960 Durham West GIBSON John 1964 Durham Northern WALKER Muriel 1964 Durham Northern Tried Sunderland BMD although they have records it doesn't look like they're on line but you can contact them by e-mail at registrars(@)sunderland.gov.uk - remove brackets. Their website is the usual gov.uk Hope this is of some help Carol

Carol

Carol Report 16 Feb 2005 09:02

Whoops, sorry about the e mail address, I think GR took it out. It's on their website anyway. Carol

Greg

Greg Report 16 Feb 2005 15:09

Have you tried www.192.com?