Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1861 on 1837 - shortcomings

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Darryl

Darryl Report 15 Feb 2005 22:01

Like many of us, I've been quick to explore the new 1861 postings on the 1837 web site, particularly as many of my family were from Kent, Surrey and London. I've found the coverage very patchy. After a few 'misses' on ancestors I knew were around at the time, I started testing the site with information that I knew was correct from previous consultations of 1861 census returns on microfilm and they drew several blanks, even after a wide variety of spelling options etc were tried to compensate for mistranscriptions. I think I'll save my money and wait for Ancestry to post the details as it seems a much more reliable service. Patience is a virtue....

Benjamin

Benjamin Report 15 Feb 2005 22:03

Hi Darryl I couldnt agree more, as I looked tonight and cannot find all the ancestors that I typed in, and some of mine came from London and Kent as well. In a few years time, I reckon Ancestry will have all the censuses 1841-1901 on there. Ben

Deb

Deb Report 15 Feb 2005 22:12

I have just emailed a complaint to 1837, I also have viewed the 61 on microfilm so I knew exactly where to find my ancestors but they were not there. has anyone noticed how many names have been transcribed as '........,..........' how can that be 'complete' . Waste of money!!!!! Debbie

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 15 Feb 2005 22:22

Hi I must admit I have been lucky in my searches. My complaint is about the images, some of them have been dreadfully faint or patchy. One was legible at the top of the page but by the time it got to my family I could hardly make out one letter in ten!!!! I e.mailed each time through the 'problem' button on the image (which won't generate a reply) but I guess it would have been better to send a direct e.mail and maybe got some of my credits refunded......Oh well next time! Chris

Janice

Janice Report 15 Feb 2005 23:23

I must admit that I have been really lucky and found some good information so far.

Karen

Karen Report 16 Feb 2005 10:44

not forgetting the 3 units it costs to lok at each image........why is it sooo expensive??? kaz