Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Dartmoor Prison

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rebekah

Rebekah Report 15 Feb 2005 15:36

Please can someone help me, I have an Ethel Margaret Reader (1888-1977) with a brother Albert Fredrick Reader (1893-1947). Their father was Walter John Reader (1863-1953), I cannot find them on recent census records, although I have a Death Certificate. One of my Aunts says that Walter John was a prison warden in Dartmoor Prison and the children were born inside the prison (apparently an old Aunt told her). Would births inside prison be treated any differently to others, if not, why can't I find them? Thanks, Beki

Janet

Janet Report 15 Feb 2005 15:45

Prison births to Prison warders are found on the ordinary 1837 indexes. However I would it think that it is very doubtful that civilian population would live at Dartmoor Prison. If you have ever seen Dartmoor Prison you would understand why! Most likely the warder and his family lived in Princetown or even went by train to Plymouth as until 1956 there was a wonderful railway track from Princetown to Plymouth stopping at all the little villages on the way. I know that in some London Prisons that the families lived within the Prison Quarters but Dartmoor is a bit different. Suggest you get a map of the area from the mid 1800's and see where the train stopped. They could have lived anywhere along that line. Janet

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Feb 2005 15:49

Beki I think they should still have been registered in the normal way. According to the National Archives site, prison records are usually with the nearest records office, so that might be worth exploring. I also found this on a2a: Princetown County Primary School, formerly Dartmoor Prison Officers' Boys, Girls and Infants Schools Catalogue Ref. 2301 C Creator(s): Princetown County Primary School, Devon Dartmoor Prison Officers' Boys, Girls and Infants Schools, Princetown, Devon Perhaps your relatives attended this school? nell