Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Nearest cemetary to Stepney/Woolwich?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Seasons

Seasons Report 15 Feb 2005 14:03

Can anyone tell me which is the nearest cemetary to Stepney or Woolwich please? Recently found father in law had died in London Hospital mid 50's (long way from Scotland) and from the death certificate said he was to be buried. Am hoping to go to Kew (ok so I said I was going before Christmas but still haven't made it) and thought I would check out the cemetary on the same day.

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Feb 2005 17:06

I'd contact the cemetery before visiting - without a grave number you could be wandering around for ages. I think trying to go to the cemetery AND Kew on the same day would be a tall order too. nell

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 15 Feb 2005 17:14

Found a site that might be helpful: www(.)londonburials(.)co(.)uk Lists all cemetaries in London County by district.

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 15 Feb 2005 17:14

Hi Julie! Sorry, but if he died in the London Hospital then City of London Cem is not the nearest. More often than not, the burial would be at a cemetary convenient for the deceased's home, or surviving relatives, or would be with a spouse who had already died. I have got a book of all the cemetaries in london, if you send me the home address from the death certificate, I will let you have the contact details for the likeliest ones. Nell is quite right to advise you to check with the cem first, there may not be a stone for a start. Also, bear in mind that Kew is at the complete other side of London - a good hour away on the tube. From what I have heard, a full day at Kew is not enough for most people! Please contact me direct and I will help as much as I can. Maz. XX

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 15 Feb 2005 17:15

Unless you are talking about North Woolwich, there is the small matter of the Thames between Stepney and Woolwich. Looking for burials is a thankless task if you are not sure where someone was buried.

Heather

Heather Report 15 Feb 2005 17:15

Hope you dont mind me jumping in but Stepney is the other side of the river from Woolwich.

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 15 Feb 2005 17:27

Sorry to but in, but thats not the correct number for City of London Cem - that's the Corporation of London. Cem's direct phone no. is 0208 530 2151. But as I said above, that isn't the nearest cem. Maz. XX

Penelope(Penny) Jane

Penelope(Penny) Jane Report 15 Feb 2005 17:29

If it is Woolwich on the South Side there are cemetries in Charlton and Plumstead, which will still come under the district of Woolwich. Every lit bit helps. Hopefully.

Sheila

Sheila Report 15 Feb 2005 17:34

You might find this website useful to search the Woolwich cemeteries: http://www.kentarchaeology.org.uk/Research/Libr/MIs/MIsWoolwich/MIsWoolwich001-450.htm Sheila

Seasons

Seasons Report 15 Feb 2005 18:00

Wow thanks for all the info. I have no knowledge of London especially in the 1950's. According to his death certificate he lived in Fieldgate Street, Stepney which is just around the corner from the London Hospital so knew I would have to contact the cemetary first to see where he might be buried before going. No his wife died year before in Edinburgh and was cremated but he had a married sister living in Woolwich? hubby can't even remember her christian name - just Auntie - he was small at the time. Will give them the cemetary a ring tomorrow and see what they say. Thanks all.