Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone good at finding lost people on census???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 15 Feb 2005 13:15

In 1891 my children's great great grandfather William Upton, was married to Alice with 2 daughters - Millie and Mary. Father and daughters were born in New Shoreham, Sussex. By 1901, another daughter Alice had been born, but had died before making it to the census, mother Alice has also died. Willaim is now married to Eliza, my children's great great grandmother. They have a son, Giles, my children's great grandfather, and Mary is still with them. I want to know what happened to Millie, can't find her anywhere, can't find a death record either. I have thought of looking for Camilla or Millicent. Anyone else got any ideas, anyone fancy a challenge??

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Feb 2005 13:17

Julie Do you know definitely that Millie was still alive and if so how old would she have been - its quite possible she was working if she was 12 or over and may have had her details wrongly given by her employer/landlord. nell

N

N Report 15 Feb 2005 13:25

just in case someone is looking, here they are in 1891 Upton, Alice 24 scaynes hill, Sussex Wife New Shoreham Sussex Upton, Mary 1 New Shoreham, Sussex Daughter New Shoreham Sussex Upton, Millie 4 New Shoreham, Sussex Daughter New Shoreham Sussex Upton, William 31 New Shoreham, Sussex Head New Shoreham Sussex will look as well, but have really bad head, and comp is doing my head in, LOL. :-)

Julie

Julie Report 15 Feb 2005 13:28

Thanks - no - I don't know if she was definitely alive, I did wonder if it was possible she was working. I think she was 13 or 14. Didn't they leave home and work young?

N

N Report 15 Feb 2005 13:30

Name: Nellie Upton Age in 1901: 14 Estimated birth year: 1887 Relation: Servant Household: View other family members Gender: Female Where born: Shoreham, Sussex, England Civil parish: Worthing Ecclesiatical parish: St George Town: Worthing County/Island: Sussex Country: England Source information: RG13/958 Registration district: East Preston Sub-registration district: Worthing ED, institution, or vessel: 5 Folio: 71 Page: 5 Household schedule number: 14 Henry Shaw Copeland 24 London, Middlesex, England Boarder Worthing Sussex Agnes Denny 58 Ireland Boarder Worthing Sussex Jane Anne Hacking 48 Manchester, Lancashire, England Boarder Worthing Sussex Martha Esther Hacking 65 Manchester, Lancashire, England Boarder Worthing Sussex Rose Eliza Kegnett 18 Brighton, Sussex, England Servant Worthing Sussex Mary Ann Elizabeth Keilor 68 London, Middlesex, England Boarder Worthing Sussex Elena Wilcock Radford 57 London, Middlesex, England Boarder Worthing Sussex John Radford 59 Margate, Kent, England Boarder Worthing Sussex Fanny Edw Siyer 46 Great Bentley, Essex, England Visitor Worthing Sussex Mary Swift 50 London, Middlesex, England Head Worthing Sussex Frances Jane Thompson 36 Ireland Servant Worthing Sussex Nellie Upton 14 Shoreham, Sussex, England Servant Worthing Sussex Hannah Wells 65 London, Middlesex, England Boarder Worthing Sussex Grace Williams 48 London, Middlesex, England Head Worthing Sussex wonder if this is her, mistranscribed??? can someone else have a look, eyes are too bad at mo :-)

The Bag

The Bag Report 15 Feb 2005 13:30

this might be her, geography is about right.will see if i can find any more Amelia Upton 14 Brighton, Sussex, England Inmate Preston Sussex There is an Naomi there as well. The head of the house is 'madame of girls home' ............................................................................... RG13/942 Folio13 page 18 Name Age in 1901 Birthplace Relationship Civil Parish County/Island View Image Frederick Baker 33 Sheffield, Yorkshire, England Head Preston Sussex M A M Baker 38 Brighton, Sussex, England Wife Preston Sussex Isabel Bennett 12 Brighton, Sussex, England Inmate Preston Sussex Mabel Brigden 15 Hassocks, Sussex, England Inmate Preston Sussex Helen Burroughs 28 Tottenham, London, England Matron Preston Sussex Bertha Haskell 13 Brighton, Sussex, England Inmate Preston Sussex Mary Jones 15 Cromsicket, Wales Inmate Preston Sussex Daisy Rose 12 Brighton, Sussex, England Inmate Preston Sussex Emily Rose 14 Brighton, Sussex, England Inmate Preston Sussex Agnes Starry 14 Brighton, Sussex, England Inmate Preston Sussex Lilly Streeter 15 Brighton, Sussex, England Inmate Preston Sussex **Amelia Upton 14 Brighton, Sussex, England Inmate Preston Sussex **Naomie Upton 16 Brighton, Sussex, England Inmate Preston Sussex Rhoda Waghorn 28 Edenbridge, Kent, England Matron Preston Sussex (i put the ** in )

Keith

Keith Report 15 Feb 2005 13:45

Found same one as Nichola, looking at the image could be Millie, have image if you need it. Keith

Julie

Julie Report 15 Feb 2005 14:03

Many thanks everyone. Don't think it's Amelia, birthplace is slightly out. I did see Nellie myself, but I doidn't think to look at the image. Will go in now and look.

Julie

Julie Report 15 Feb 2005 14:09

It does look much more like Millie Upton than Nellie. Think it's her, everything else fits Many thanks!!!