Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

TIMOTHY WHITES and TAYLOR

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Queenie

Queenie Report 15 Feb 2005 11:38

I have been told that my family were the Taylor part of the above. I have tried google etc. for a site for the history of the company but cant get anything relevant. I simply want to know if this info is in the slightest bit true. Can anyone suggest a direction to go? Or is anyone connected to the Timothy Whites bit!

Heather

Heather Report 15 Feb 2005 11:43

I can remember Timothy Whites chemists in every highstreet until Boots took over.

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 15 Feb 2005 11:49

Thats where I learnt (the hard way) about what condoms were lol I worked in Timothy Whites on the counter and served a poor embarrissed young chap... I shouted for help from the lady in charge asking where they were. I wonder if he ever got over it?.....lol Gerri x

Queenie

Queenie Report 15 Feb 2005 11:51

I tried the Boots web site a few times but no luck. I was told this story many years ago though my dad has no details and checking out his family they werent the type of people that would of been into business mostly labourers.

Ann

Ann Report 15 Feb 2005 11:57

hi, I typed, in search, 'timothy whites and taylor chemist history 'and I got a list of towns ................you could click on the link + get a history...maybe you could try it for where you live. I BELIEVE tw+t was actually bought out by Boots. Why not try your local museum/library?

The Bag

The Bag Report 15 Feb 2005 11:58

Try Googling Timothy Whites chemist history. There are about 7000 hits , how relevant they are I dont know. Jess 110. Boots owns two retail chains, one consisting of 1,398 chemist shops trading under the name Boots The Chemists (BTC) and the other of 196 nonchemist shops trading in houseware merchandise under the name Timothy Whites (TW). These latter are the 'Timothy Whites' shops remaining after the rationalisation which followed the acquisition of Timothy Whites and Taylors Ltd by Boots in 1968. All BTC shops have dispensaries supplying ethical drugs

Heather

Heather Report 15 Feb 2005 11:59

Funnily enough Gerri - my first Saturday job was in Woolworths, across the high street my friend (who had a posher accent than me) got a saturday job in Timothy Whites. The first day I met her for lunch and she was really red and flustered and said she had taken to hiding behind the Gerber Babyfood stand everytime an unaccompanied young man came in the shop!!

Ann

Ann Report 15 Feb 2005 11:59

Great Minds think alike eh, Jess! Good luck with your *hometown* visit. Ann

The Bag

The Bag Report 15 Feb 2005 12:04

Indeed Ann, I went back and had a little look. Still have a dinner sevice that was bought in Timothy Whites in Hemel Hempsted - know it was still there in 1981 cos they held my wedding list! Jess

The Bag

The Bag Report 15 Feb 2005 12:09

Amanda- what sort of generation of ancestor are we talking about here? Was he a TC Taylor? Try this , removing all the ( ) first http://www(.)nottsfhs(.)org(.)uk/society/journals/apr01(.)htm jess

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 15 Feb 2005 12:40

Jess Thats the shop I worked at! Hemel Hempstead...lol small world Gerri

The Bag

The Bag Report 15 Feb 2005 15:39

I thought Timothy Whites were the hardware dept of Boots, was that just after the takeover? Jess

Queenie

Queenie Report 15 Feb 2005 17:10

Thanks for the tips. No idea when the mysterious Taylor family member became part of Timothy Whites. Perhaps my dad was told this story as a leg pull, really useful to us family history buffs years later!