Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Merchant Navy payments when men were POW's

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janine

Janine Report 15 Feb 2005 09:14

Does anybody know what happened to sailors/ stewards payments when they were taken as POW's in WW2? Did they send their payments to their wives including the wives that were overseas? My grandfather served as a Steward for the English Merchant Navy - He was taken as a prisoner of war for some time - Would his wife who was in Australia recieved any payments? Cheers Janine

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Feb 2005 09:56

I don't know. I imagine the wives would need to live on something! Perhaps you can find some sources of info here: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/militaryhistory/merchant/ nell

Janine

Janine Report 15 Feb 2005 10:12

Thanks Helen - I will try that website. I have a feeling my grandmother never knew what happened to her husband and left their son in state care - I also have the feeling my grandfather never knew he had a son, I have recently found my family in the UK - Whilst they had heard he had someone in Australia he never mentioned a child which was unusual they said. My grandmother dissappeared soon after my fsathers birth. Cheers Janine and many thanks

Thomas

Thomas Report 15 Feb 2005 10:25

As soon as their ship was sunk, crew were off the payroll,all heart the shipping companies!!

Janine

Janine Report 15 Feb 2005 10:31

Luckily for my grandfather he was serving on another ship at the time it was sunk. Only just mind you but he was taken as a POW for some time - Maybe they thought he was an MIA or KIA instead and my grandmother thought him deceased, gave up their child and returned to UK or elsewhere. Cheers Janine