Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Vulcan Ward Middlesbrough??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Darren

Darren Report 14 Feb 2005 20:53

Hi all i have just come across a 1901 census image which details some of my family. In the left hand column where the address is written, there is a stamp which reads Vulcan Ward. I assume this is the Parliamentary Ward for the area of the borough. Is there anyone out there who could point me in the right direction. I am interested to know the boundaries of this ward as i cannot bring to mind where the street might be located. Are there any websites that may have these details. Darren

Poolie Girl

Poolie Girl Report 14 Feb 2005 22:10

Just a guess but isn't there a Vulcan St in St Hildas Ward? Beth :)

Gordon

Gordon Report 14 Feb 2005 22:22

Hi Darren, An 'immigrant' to Boro myself so I haven't heard of Vulcan St, but it certainly existed, though a quick Google doesn't help me find out where. However there is (or was) a Vulcan Works in Lower Commercial Street 'over the Border' so I fancy the St Hilda's area is correct, Regards, Gordon

Darren

Darren Report 14 Feb 2005 23:28

It details the street as France St, but also down the address column is an official ink stamp that says VULCAN WARD. This appears several times down the margin. ?

Darren

Darren Report 14 Feb 2005 23:45

Yes thats what i have, but i don't know of any france street in M/boro, so i thought if i could locate the boundery for this ward i would were it was as i think its probably gone now. Same parish as yor too. I'm wondering now if it could be in N/Ormesby not central Middlesbro

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 15 Feb 2005 20:03

Have you tried the Historical OS maps site? I reckon the easiest way is to find where you want on eth current OS get-a-map set and then click on the hsitorical map link to bring up the same area in the 19th century. I certainly found a ward marked up on a Manchester map that way. Christine