Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Emmigrants who changed their names?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Emily

Emily Report 14 Feb 2005 16:32

Hey, I was wondering if anyone knew how I could find information about people who may have changed their names when emmigrating to England and how I could find out further back in the family from this. I am looking for info on Manuel Levine but either him or his dad changed the surname when moving to England. We think whichever emmigrated was from Russia but it's uncertain. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks from Emily

Jane

Jane Report 14 Feb 2005 16:42

Emily, The PRO/National Archives have records of applications for British Nationality - if indeed your people did that. Try looking around their website for info. My only experience was doing a favour on a visit last year - I managed to find the certificate, but the nice man on the help desk said there should have been a whole application form ... the place was closing, so I didn't have time to pursue it further. Oops almost forgot - the main reason for reacting to your message was that whilst I was looking through the certificates, I found one for Lew Grade (maybe you recall the well known TV man). His original name was GRADOWSKI! Thus, you might find your chaps under LEVINE, with a note as to their original names. It sounds as though your people may be fairly recent (ie 1900s) in which case, there's a good chance you'd find 'em in Kew. Good luck. Regs Jane

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 14 Feb 2005 19:12

I happen to know that Levine was often the new name for previously Levinsky or Lewinsky.(But sometimes changed to Vine) Obviously, at many times in British History, people have wished to conceal their Jewish origins and a rough way of finding out, if you know the original name, is to say it aloud and work out what it sounds nearest to in English - hope this makes sense- by dropping the 'winsky, owski,' etc Marjorie