Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Doesn't appear in census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 14 Feb 2005 10:02

One of my relatives (witha very unusual Christian name) was born in 1867 and appears in the 1901 census but, along with her brothers does not appear in the 1881 census. Is this possible? Many thanks Karen

Dorothy

Dorothy Report 14 Feb 2005 10:16

Hi Karen, this happens to me all the time due to mis-spelling of names. Try doing a search on similar sounding names and you might have more luck. Di

Joy

Joy Report 14 Feb 2005 10:16

It does seem that some are missing, yes. Maybe staying with an aunt / uncle or someone else and left off my mistake? Joy

The Bag

The Bag Report 14 Feb 2005 10:40

post some names. i've not got a lot to do today, well i have but it can wait, and I'll have alook - i quite enjoy the challenge Jess x

Peter

Peter Report 17 Feb 2005 08:58

Karen, the census is a bit like viewing the past through small holes in a very long fence. It only shows what someone wrote a long time ago about who was in a particular house on a particular night.. Never the less it does help with family groupings and is best if compared with the ones each side to give a spread of information. Look out for miss or variable spellings as well; I looked through 394 of 395 Hazzards to find my Grandfather listed on an index as Haggard so keep looking.