Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

British Home Kids

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bruce

Bruce Report 14 Feb 2005 04:10

Hi, There is a possibility that my twin aunt and uncle may have been placed in an orphanage and sent overseas as home kids. Does anyone have any knowledge in this area

Clive

Clive Report 14 Feb 2005 05:32

The Childrens Society UK used to run a lot of childrens homes, they have a webb site (hiddenlives.org.uk) could be worth a look. Clive

Jane

Jane Report 14 Feb 2005 07:45

Bruce, Try putting 'orphans programme' into google or whatever internet search engine you use, it should bring up some information. Also, the Canadian National Archives has info online about children shipped to Canada - it's searchable by surname. I can't recall off the top of my head, but I think in the UK it's the National Childrens Homes (NCH) who now have records of that era. Happy hunting. Regs Jane

Slinky

Slinky Report 14 Feb 2005 09:12

I have reason to believe that the Fairbridge Society used to take children to Australia.

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 14 Feb 2005 21:25

www.childmigrants(.)com is good, and if they were sent via Barnados, their website has a section on tracing home children.

Irene

Irene Report 14 Feb 2005 22:56

I managed to trace an ancestor that was sent out to Canana from Dr. Barnardos in East London. I got photographs and information from Barnardos and then information from Canada and copies of the medals awarded to him in first world war. Also copies of his signing up papers in Canada. Good Luck Irene

Shani

Shani Report 15 Feb 2005 01:17

There were several ways a child could be relocated, via large organisations such as Barnardo's or the Corus Trust or smaller ones. If was a smaller one that can be far more difficult to trace as records can be placed in archives where one would not think of looking. Margaret Humphries set up the Child Migrants' Trust and wrote a book called 'Empty Cradles', it's worth a read (with a box of tissues handy)

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 15 Feb 2005 01:21

Hi Bruce, another good site you could try is http://www.ist.uwaterloo.ca/~marj/genealogy/homeadd.html Christine