Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Googling

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

connieonnie

connieonnie Report 14 Feb 2005 02:40

I was bored one night so went on goole and put in a surname i am researching in my tree. Google came up with over two thousand entries and i started to search them .After about two hours i came across an entry which turned out to be a 'looking for any living relatives' ad which was placed in a local newspaper over two years ago. It gave an e-mail address , so i thought i'd chance writing a short message to the man who had placed the ad. It turned out - after a few e-mails later, that his ggg grandfather was my ggg grandfathers brother. The gent who had placed the ad was from Canada , i live in the North West of England. So if your fed up and have a few hours to kill - try Google. You never know.

KiwiChris

KiwiChris Report 14 Feb 2005 04:32

I did that once and found a second cousin. we corresponded by email for weeks before discovering that we only lived a few miles apart! Have been good friends ever since!! Christine in NZ

Martin

Martin Report 14 Feb 2005 08:43

I find that GOOGLE has a tendency to give too many commercial (i.e. advertising) matches. If you search on a place name you often get page after page of sites offering to tell you the names of garages, solicitors, plumbers etc etc in that place even when it is only a tiny village with a couple of houses. I often find that VIVISIMO gives more useful matches when GOOGLE is only giving irrelevant ones. GOOGLE can be useful though, don't forget that you can also search USENET groups from it and also search for images. MB

Seasons

Seasons Report 14 Feb 2005 08:50

Could you please elaborate on Visimo and what you can do with Google (for a thicko please).

corcoran74

corcoran74 Report 14 Feb 2005 08:51

was wondering the same thing. So two thicko's lol.

maryjane-sue

maryjane-sue Report 14 Feb 2005 10:04

Thanks for the info re Vivisimo - i had a quick look and it looks promising, so have now saved it to favs. And yes, googling does tend to throw up a lot of rubbish and trolling thru it all can get boring. Sue

Heather

Heather Report 14 Feb 2005 10:06

Someone on another thread suggested putting in your own name with an ' either side of it to see what it brought up. Lots of bits of info where I have been on various genealogy sites asking questions! Also lots of artists, writers and professors! BUT also a transvestite!

Barbara

Barbara Report 14 Feb 2005 13:28

Hi All, There are tips for using Google to search for ancestors at this site: http://www.searchforancestors(.)com/archives/google.html Barbara

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 14 Feb 2005 13:51

Actually got into Family search using Vivisimo, so it's clearly reaching parts that Google cannot.