Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Navy death - early 1900s

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 13 Feb 2005 20:18

When the 1901 census first became available (for more than a few seconds!) I looked up my greatgrandparents and their siblings. One of my GGrandpa's brothers was in the Navy and at that time was on board a depot ship in Portsmouth. I added his details to the record and promptly forgot about him. It has just been suggested to me that he died very shortly after that - in China - and is buried in Happy Valley Cemetery, Hong Kong. My question is - how do I find out if this is true? the CWGC site is WW1 and WW2 only and I can't find him on the overseas pages of 1837 online - any suggestions?

Nantwich

Nantwich Report 13 Feb 2005 20:31

Hi Yvonne Bit of a long shot this one but if he was still in the navy when he died the following website might help?? http://www(.)nmm(.)ac(.)uk/memorials/Index(.)cfm its the maritime memorials site, has some links on there as well Good Luck!! Sarah

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 14 Feb 2005 20:09

Thanks Sarah, there were dozens of memorials in Happy Valley on there, unfortunately none of them my Henry. I think the problem is that his grave was marked, but only with a number and the memorials listed all have names and dates. A Fascinating site though - thanks for bringing it to my attention. Best regards, Yvonne

Peter

Peter Report 14 Feb 2005 22:57

You could also contact the MOD or Kew to see if they have a list of names to match numbers for the cematery

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 15 Feb 2005 18:22

Hello Peter, yes I had already resigned myself to the fact that I was going to have to take a trip to Kew. I will have to try and get myself organised with all the things I want to know before I set off. Apart from Henry I am sure there are other relatives I can look for.

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 15 Feb 2005 18:25

Have you tried this site: www.memorials.inportsmouth*co*uk/ (replace asterisks with dots) It came up trumps for some of my Portsmouth people.