Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Maiden names - second marriages

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Trudy

Trudy Report 13 Feb 2005 17:01

Wonder if anyone can give me some advice? I am looking for the maiden name of my gg grandmother. She married my gg grandfather John Lines in 1867 (I have the cert ref for this). My question is, I know this was her second marriage as two children from her first marriage are shown living with them on the 1881 census as 'stepsons' - will their marriage certificate show her married name of 'Layton' or will it show her 'original' maiden name - or both? Any help appreciated. Thanks Trudy

Maud

Maud Report 13 Feb 2005 17:06

Hi If your gt grandmother had a second marriage, her maiden name should have been shown on the marriage cert. if it was not however, you could obtain her first marriage cert and her maiden name would be shown on that. Did the children have the surname of the second husband on the 1881 census? You would be best to try and find her cert for the first marriage

Linda

Linda Report 13 Feb 2005 17:09

My gg uncle's marriage certificate showed his mother's married name (2nd marriage), her former name (1st marriage) and also her maiden surname.

Stephen

Stephen Report 13 Feb 2005 17:14

As I undertand it on a marriage certificate both parties write their names immediately before marriage; however they also both need to add their father's name. Sometimes further details are added - if you can afford it get the certificate. What does it say on your g-grandparent's birth certificate under the mother's name? It would usually have your g2-grandmother's maiden name I think. So if John Smith (father Peter Smith) married Mary Jones (father George Williams) then Mary's maiden name would have been Williams and she had previously married a Mr. Jones. ASIDE: The awkward thing is that a birth certificate asks for mother's maiden surname. So in what might appear (in FreeBMD or post 1911) as a marriage between John Smith and Mary Jones, and children would be listed (post Aug 1911 for instance) with mother's maiden surname of Williams.

Gillian

Gillian Report 13 Feb 2005 18:22

Hi Trudy I have had a look at the details and I wondered why you did not purchase the childs birth certificate which would provide you with Mary's maiden name and the name of the father her husband, the details for the birth are: Surname First name(s) District Vol Page Births September Quarter 1862 LAYTON Daniel Ward Mahew Wellingbro 3b_24 Details from 1871 Census: Daniel W M LAYTON age 8 born Rushden, Northamptonshire, England Stepson Newton Bromswold Northamptonshire Regards Gillian

Trudy

Trudy Report 13 Feb 2005 19:30

Thanks for all the advice, I think I will order the marriage cert anyway and see what happens. Thanks Trudy

Irene

Irene Report 13 Feb 2005 21:52

Trudy On the earlier certificates, they didn't alway marry by their married name sometimes they used their maiden name, we had one of those. Even if they did marry by their married name you will get her fathers name which will give you the maiden name (if she had one that is), We also had one where her maiden name was her mothers maiden name, mother married the father a couple of months after the birth. She still gave her fathers full name and used it on her childrens birth certificates, so confusing. Irene