Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help- hospital birth in 1908?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lindsay

Lindsay Report 13 Feb 2005 15:39

Can anyone please tell me who would have a baby in a maternity hospital (Rotten Row, Glasgow) in 1908?? Everyone else seemed to be born at home?!

Unknown

Unknown Report 13 Feb 2005 15:41

Someone with medical complications/access to private funds to afford a bit of pampering. Perhaps they were in hospital being treated for a complaint non-pregnancy related when they went into labour? nell

Lindsay

Lindsay Report 13 Feb 2005 15:48

Mmm, I was wondering about having personal funds! It was an illegitimate birth. The family the child went to were miners and all their children from that period were all born at home, which made me think the mother came from a better family perhaps!

Heather

Heather Report 13 Feb 2005 15:58

Or possibly someone who was planning to have the baby adopted?

Lindsay

Lindsay Report 13 Feb 2005 16:06

Yes, the child was brought up by someone else, and so far I have found no connection with the 'adopted' father and the childs mother. How would the child end up with a new family? They usually looked after their own I thought. And in this case the wife was not best pleased to have to bring up an 'adopted' child.The wife already had an illigitame child of her own! Any ideas???

Unknown

Unknown Report 13 Feb 2005 16:09

Lindsey I think the adoptive father must have had some link to the child. If he didn't father the baby, he must have felt something to have brought the child up as his own, especially as his wife wasn't keen. Maybe he was instrumental in introducing the real mother to the real father - who then seduced her? Maybe the father was a younger brother who couldn't face up to the responsibility or was unable to offer a home? nell

George

George Report 13 Feb 2005 16:11

maybe the adopted father was the babies dad? The mum may well have gone into hospital because her family were ashamed cos she had got pregnant out of wedlock so afterwards either an employee or the dad was paid to take the baby and bring him up.

Lindsay

Lindsay Report 13 Feb 2005 16:24

Yes, I do beleive that either he was the babies father or he introduced the babies father to the mother! I'm more inclined to think that he was actually the father though! I don't think it was a brother, they all had families of their own (large ones!) and I would have thought they would have brought him up. So it seems like the adoptive father was the real father!!

Lindsay

Lindsay Report 13 Feb 2005 16:33

Also, who would name the baby?!!

George

George Report 13 Feb 2005 16:40

my guess is that would be left up to the father, as I doubt the mums family would want her to name it

Lindsay

Lindsay Report 13 Feb 2005 16:55

thanks!