Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HAVE I REACHED THE END?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 13 Feb 2005 00:27

I know my ggggrand father Robert Bourne(s) was born in Amblecote in Staffordshire in 1791, from age on Death Cert and from Census records. All the dates tally amazingly! But he doesn't seem to have been baptised as I have searched the Parish Registers in both Staffordshire and Worcestershire. Have I hit a final brick wall? Sue G in Berks.

Clive

Clive Report 13 Feb 2005 08:19

Hi Sue, his parents may not have been C of E, As well as RC and Jewish fraternity there were a lot of non-conformist churches arround at that time, as there are today, it could be worth checking if there were any other local chapels or religious groups at the time. Clive

Joan

Joan Report 13 Feb 2005 09:41

If the non conformist registers don't give results then you may have reached the end of the line. However,I wonder if it would help to look around on the LDS site...the IGI. No Robert BOurne there, but if you put another name...say William, and the date range 1791 plus or minus 5. and Staffs and then Worcs...you may find where Bournes are being born...who might be connected. The IGI batch number site doesn't have Amblecote...but where near might he have been born? A bit speculative but might give you some ideas. Good luck. Joan

Susan

Susan Report 13 Feb 2005 10:45

Thanks for all you suggestions. The added complication with Amblecote is that it was the part of Stourbridge that was in Staffordshire but the settlement had no church of its own until 1850 or thereabouts and so any Amblecote residents got baptised, married or buried in Old Swinford 2 miles to the south - but in Worcestershire. It's now in Dudley MB. Ugh! I will try Joan's suggestions of other first names and also double check if there are any non-conformist registers, although after that date they seem to be Cof E. In the meantime, I'm not short of work as have my paternal side to continue with and then my other half's, so like Lindy here's hoping I might just come across the elusive chap along the way. Sue G

Susan

Susan Report 13 Feb 2005 10:52

I should also had another complication. Robert Bourne married another Bourne - Mary - so some of the possible Bournes shown as being baptised in Old Swinford eg William Bourne in 1795 and Mary herself in 1791 are his wife's family!! It just gets worse.