Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bakers in London

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ian

Ian Report 12 Feb 2005 16:44

This is a bit of a long shot, but does anyone have any information about German bakers in London (aorund 1900). Sources of information or a German baker in your own tree?.... Thanks!!!

Heather

Heather Report 12 Feb 2005 16:46

I have just found a German Master baker in my tree! Christian Bauer born Coblenz 1840 living in West Ham. He married the sister of my GGFx2 (Mary Ann Hanson).

David

David Report 12 Feb 2005 17:02

I recently bought Godfrey Edition OS maps of Poplar and Bromley-by-Bow from 1895. Apart from being excellently produced, on the back they have directories of hundreds of traders working in the district at the time. I went through these looking forsurnames from my family, one of which is of German origin - Kiekenap or Kickenap. I noticed that there were a lot of German pork butchers for some reason. Anyway, there will be a lot of bakers in the list and some of these might well be German. Dave Henson.

Ian

Ian Report 13 Feb 2005 16:58

nudge

Heather

Heather Report 13 Feb 2005 16:59

What did you want to know Ian. Have you done a google search for info or looked at the historicaldirectories site?

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 13 Feb 2005 17:32

Why? My great grandfather was a Baker (journeyman). Apparently they came to England in 1899 (from Germany). Settled in London. He died in 1939. His name was Jacob Spengler. Lived in Holborn area.

Ian

Ian Report 16 Feb 2005 08:56

Thanks for your replies! I know from my great grandmother's (Marie KROLLA nee KRAMER) naturalisation records that her sister (Justina NAU nee KRAMER) owned a bakers (I think in Battersea). Marie married a baker. So getting information on bakers may lead to more clues.....

Heather

Heather Report 16 Feb 2005 09:17

Have you checked the historicaldirectories site?

Ian

Ian Report 16 Feb 2005 09:18

Historical directories sites looks very interesting! Thanks

Peter

Peter Report 16 Feb 2005 10:30

My great grandfather, Ernst Joseph WIELAND was a baker confectioner. He was born in Germany in 1855, (I'm not shure where exactly) and arrived here between 1871 (can't find him on the census) and 1881, wneh he is living as a lodger with a bakery manager. He married a German girl in 1886, and my Grandfather Joseph Charles WIELAND b1891 also became a master baker. I still have some of his 'tools of the trade'

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 16 Feb 2005 10:57

I know a lot of research has been done on this, just can't remember by whom. Try the Anglo German FHS. Good luck