Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can someone help me please???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 11 Feb 2005 17:59

What do you do if you find a birth record for someone but then cannot find a marriage or death record? Do you just assume they are still walking the earth even though they were born in 1864? Has anyone got any hints that can help me with this? Many thanks Peter

Wendy

Wendy Report 11 Feb 2005 18:06

Have you found the person in any census? Is the name one which could be mis-spelled?

Sandra

Sandra Report 11 Feb 2005 18:09

Have you checked the Parish Records?

Smiley

Smiley Report 11 Feb 2005 18:12

I've got someone like this Peter, although I do have a birth ref, but nothing after, no death no marriage & not on the follwing census. It really is frustrating, but I'm just keeping her on the back burner, so to speak, and I keep checking every now & again. New records are added from time to time and I assume she will just come to light somewhere. Regards Sam

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 11 Feb 2005 18:46

Peter I've got LOADS of 150 year old relatives...what's unusual about that! However, I did manage to kill a few off through the LOCAL Register Offices - the deaths were neatly recorded there but DO NOT appear in the GRO records. Marjorie

Shaun

Shaun Report 11 Feb 2005 18:51

I know how frustrating this can be as I have a whoe branch of my tree who vannished. I have birth, census and all sorts up until one got married in 1908, his brother was best man, his sister was a witness. His mother was still living and he also had another brother-- then zilch I did think about them moving abroad, but they were poor farm workers so I doubt they could afford it. Only advice I can give is keep trying. Shaun

Carol

Carol Report 11 Feb 2005 23:29

Peter, I've got this problem. After finding a g aunt on 1881 census and finding her birth on free bmd I could find no other trace of her, no marriage and no death and she wasn't on 1901 so following tips on this board I searched 'out of the box' on 1901. First I entered her first name (Jane) with the date of birth and place of birth (no other info) but nothing came up. Then I entered her second name (Emma) with date and place of birth and up popped 'Emma .... ' - 'Domestic Servant'. I still don't know if this is the right person as I have yet to view the image but as my family come from a very small village in Cambs I'm hoping. The thing is to keep trying. Does anybody know if domestic servants were sometimes entered just by their first name?

Macbev

Macbev Report 12 Feb 2005 02:31

The emigration suggestion is quite likely. There was a whole line of my PINKER family came, one after the other, to Western Australia, during the 1880s. They were labouring class, but there were a lot of versions of 'ten pound Poms' operating at the time to assist skilled labourers to come to work in the colonies. Also had a couple with British Army service (no, not officers) come out and take up their pensions in the form of land grants

Susan

Susan Report 12 Feb 2005 10:27

Thank you all........you have all given me something to think about..... Many thanks again Peter