Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A mystery?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Heather

Heather Report 11 Feb 2005 17:18

Due to the lovely Joan and Lou, I managed to find that my GGFx2 James Hanson was married to 'Esther'. I noticed on one of the census that their daughter was called Mary Ann Asbey Hanson. I thought, like you do, uh huh, mums surname. So I feed into ancestry Pallots Esther Asbey. Up comes a marriage (including an image) showing Esther Asbey marrying a Samuel Hanson (!?) and in brackets sgd James Hanson. It was witnessed by Mary Hanson and a Thome Edoff. Now I was expecting this Esther to be James wife. Why would James have signed this document? He isnt down as a witness. The document shows Asbey, Esther s = Saml Hanson (sgd James Hanson)???? Unless that was his father?

Susanne

Susanne Report 11 Feb 2005 17:27

Hi Heather, I was checking a parish register transcription a couple of days ago and there was a note on there saying that, although the bride was named Sarah, she signed her name Mary. Yours sounds like the same thing. Sue:-)

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Feb 2005 17:29

Heather Is it possible that James Hanson is really called Samuel but signed his name James - or that his signature of Samuel looks like James/vice versa? I have seen instances before where people have 'signed' their name as someone else, presumably because they were not very literate. nell

Heather

Heather Report 11 Feb 2005 17:32

No, he was a bright guy, had served an apprenticeship so would certainly know how to sign his name. But everything else fits. Why would you be down as Samuel? Definitely his name is James. Very strange as it is perfect for her otherwise, isnt it. Why would someone sign a record anyway - does the father ever sign? His father is also James Hanson. But Ive never heard of anyone except witnesses and the couple signing, have you? Beg

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Feb 2005 17:53

Hi Heather - I'd take its as 'signed as James ...' btw, I signed the register at both my sons weddings as Father - one of em got my christian name wrong .... theres another future family history problem I thought !

Heather

Heather Report 11 Feb 2005 18:21

Thanks Laird, if you arent bored by this!! you can have a look at the image on ancestry if you do a Pallots search for Esther Asbey. Id be grateful to hear what others think. Maybe I am being blinkered, it happens!