Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

finding a regiment?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mandy

Mandy Report 10 Feb 2005 23:43

my grandad was called harold william knight dob 15/01/1901 a lorry driver in the royal horse artillery-no date i'm afraid, his army number was K1036777 i was wondering how do i find out what regiment or battalion he was in. i know he lived in essex if that helps

Elaine

Elaine Report 10 Feb 2005 23:55

Hi Mandy try www(.)regiments.org (remove the brackets).A brilliant site that gives the history of regiments and usually where their regimental musuem or headquarters are now. A majority of my ancestors were army and I've found this site really helpful,sometimes for some regiments I just type the regiment into search engines and see what comes up. Good Luck, Elaine

Small but Perfectly Formed Wendy

Small but Perfectly Formed Wendy Report 10 Feb 2005 23:58

Hi Mandy, there is a site for finding freinds who were in the artillery, my dad was in. It is ARTILLERY-FRIENDS(.)NET just remove the brackets. If you post a message with his details on the site someone will tell you what to do next. They did for me. Good luck, Wendy

dee

dee Report 11 Feb 2005 00:05

Hi Mandy Do you have a photo of your Grandad in his uniform if you did you could may be look up his cap badge and that will narrow down his regiment it might take a lot of googling though. The Army Number he was given is unique to him ( nobody else would have that number )so you could try ringing the ARMY SERVICE RECORDS numbers below and ask them if you could obtain his records using his Name Date of Birth and Army Number as these records should contain all his information Regiment etc they should be very helpfull and will proberly send the forms out very quickly . Officers and Soldiers whose regular or reserve service ended between 1921 and 1997 Army Personnel Centre, Historical Disclosures, Mailpoint 400, Kentigern House, 65 Brown Street, Glasgow G2 8EX Telephone: 0141 224 3515 or 0845 600 9663 Fax: 0141 224 2144 Officers and Soldiers pre 1921 Because of bombing in 1940 only about 25% to 30% of soldiers' records from the period 1914-1920 have survived The Keeper of Public Records, Public Record Office, Ruskin Avenue, Kew, Richmond, Surrey TW9 4DU. Telephone: 020-8876 3444. Fax: 020-8878 8905. Website: www*pro*gov.*uk I hope this helps Diana

Mandy

Mandy Report 11 Feb 2005 00:30

thanks for all your tips, have now put a message on artillery.net forum. unfortunatly due to my grandad walking out on his wife and 12 children in the 1950's no photo's were kept of him (burnt in disgust i suspect!) all i have to go on for him is his name, army number, date of birth and his death certificate, there is no trace of his birth or marriage. i have found photo's of the royal artillery so i know roughly what he looked like in uniform