Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

NAME CHANGE FROM SALZER TO SALTER

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Catherine

Catherine Report 10 Feb 2005 22:35

Hi, Wondering if anyone has any info on this? I can find lots of Salters, but very few Salzers - I believe my ancestors came over from Germany maybe late 19th Century to London. Would be great to hear from anyone with any knowledge of this. Many thans Cath

Val wish I'd never started

Val wish I'd never started Report 10 Feb 2005 22:55

hi yes it is German I have germans too who changed their names what a nightmare finding them

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Feb 2005 23:02

Hi Catherine, More than possible!!! My cattermoles, who started in England began, in the 17th century as Kackermoul's - I know this cos I traced the parish records back in a cold back roomof a church!!. My Baker family were also originally Bakkers from Holland. maggie

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 10 Feb 2005 23:17

Hi Catherine - My German/Prussian Notzke's became Notley, I'm still trying to find out whether this was done 'officially' - it doesn't help that the family were split in two when grandfather left home. Good Luck, Sheila x