Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where Can He Be?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Debby

Debby Report 10 Feb 2005 21:32

I've got him on the 1871 age 15, 1891 age 35 and 1901 age 44 but he's nowhere to be found on the 1881. I know the first Boer war was during that year - any one know of any sites where there would be info on this? Any other ideas as to where he could have been? Thanks Debby

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Feb 2005 21:35

Has he got a name - can't find him without it! nell

Christopher

Christopher Report 10 Feb 2005 21:44

If he was in the army he may have been in india at this time. i went to the records office a few weeks ago and found my grand father was serving there during the 1891 census.

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Feb 2005 21:45

Hi Debby My ggrandfather was in India during the 1881 census....on the River Jumna if I remember correctly! Lou

Debby

Debby Report 10 Feb 2005 21:46

Sorry Nell - you must be sick of me! Wasn't meaning for a search but here goes Andrew Taylor born c1856 (showing as Andrew N Taylor on the 1871) in Eccleshill, Bradford. His mum was Harriet and his father David but by 1871 Harriet must have remarried as she's showing as Harriet Mitchell with 3 other children (all Mitchells) and also a widow - 2nd husband died? He married Emily (could be Emily Britton sept quarter 1887) and they had a son Mitchel Taylor who was my grandad. Bet you wished you'd never asked! Debby

Debby

Debby Report 10 Feb 2005 21:52

Thanks Lou & Christopher I feel a hunt coming on - will have to be tomorrow now otherwise I'll be on all night! Debby

Joan

Joan Report 11 Feb 2005 09:08

Helen, had you discounted this one/ He's a plasterer so the job is right..if not much else! Name: Andrew Taylor Age in 1881: 23 Age months: 0 Estimated birth year: abt 1858 Relationship to head-of-household: Lodger Household: View other family members Family and neighbors: View neighbors Gender: Male Where born: Sheffield Address: 57 Headford St Civil parish: Ecclesall Bierlow County/Island: Yorkshire Condition as to marriage: Unknown Occupation: Plasterer Education: View Image Employment status: View Image Source information: RG11/4631 Registration district: Ecclesall Bierlow Sub-registration district: Ecclesall Bierlow ED, institution, or vessel: 10 Folio: 83 Page: 22 Regards Joan

Debby

Debby Report 11 Feb 2005 16:51

Hi Joan I'm afraid it's not him - he was definitely born in Eccleshill, Bradford but thanks for looking anyway! Much appreciated Debby

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Feb 2005 17:05

Debby No, of course I'm not sick of you! I've had a quick look on 1881 and he doesn't appear to be there. He may have been mistranscribed of course. nell

Debby

Debby Report 11 Feb 2005 17:15

Thanks Nell! I've posted a message on the records board for 1861 Yorkshire to delve a bit deeper. I've tried Tayler, Taylor and Tailor on 1881 - will have to be a bit more inventive! Trust one line of my tree to have the 4th most popular name -grr! Debby