Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adoption - How did in work?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hayley

Hayley Report 10 Feb 2005 16:39

I always knew that my Grandad's sisters son was adopted, but recently we have found ome letters written by my grnadad to him sister and to her adopted Son. All the ones to her son say from your Big Brother Les, which we kind kind of strange, seeing as there is 20 years between them! And we are starting to think that maybe they were brothers but when there mother died his sister took him on and its laways been said she adopted him, but never from where. Was wondering how adoption works as regards did they move the child from where they were born to a different area and would you find the birth registered under the birth parents or the adoptive parents?

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Feb 2005 16:59

Hayley You don't say when this was, but formal adoption didn't happen until 1927. after that I believe people were re-registered with their adoption name, but their original birth cert would still be indexed under their birth name. nell

Hayley

Hayley Report 10 Feb 2005 17:16

Hi - He was born in 1834 - but i found his birth on 1837 under his adoptive name and mother maiden name as his adoptive mothers name and place was the place she lived! would this be right? I mean would he be registered under her and then possible somewhere else to. I assumed his birth would have been registered in his birth name and his birth mothers name!

Slinky

Slinky Report 10 Feb 2005 17:23

You can apply for a birth certificate if you know the birth name...but written on it would be the word 'Adopted' as it did on mine. I then applied for the adoption certificate but had to have all the details first...which of course I did...it only gives the date of adoption and the adoptive parents and the area. Anne.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 10 Feb 2005 17:43

Perhaps he really WAS brought up as Grandad's younger brother, but was actually the child of the sister. It wasn't uncommon for grandparents to take on an illegitimate grandchild and bring it up as their own.

Hayley

Hayley Report 10 Feb 2005 18:59

He was definitely brought up by the sister, and it was said she adopted him.

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 10 Feb 2005 20:04

He may have been the natural born son of the sister, but they told the neighbours that he was her ADOPTED son, to save face! Which is a bit unusual, usually the Grandmother claimed the child as her own and brought the child up as sibling to its real mother. I think you need some certificates to sort this one out. Good luck Marjorie

Ciara

Ciara Report 12 Feb 2005 19:16

Hayley my family were great at doing this, they seemed to send their children off to live with older brothers and sisters to live etc, it made them difficult to find. C