Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ordering Certs

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tillot

Tillot Report 9 Feb 2005 22:52

See Below

Tillot

Tillot Report 9 Feb 2005 22:54

I'm really impatient with the GRO just lately. I tend to buy all my certificates from the local registry office but it's obviously not always possible. I have a birth that was registered in Bristol and I was wondering if anyone has dealt with Bristol before. I've managed to find an address for them and am really tempted to write rather than deal with the GRO. Thanks Helen

Julie

Julie Report 9 Feb 2005 23:20

Helen Give the Bristol registrar office a ring. They should be able to tell you how long there likely to take.

Smiley

Smiley Report 9 Feb 2005 23:26

A quote from their website.. "Quakers Friars" is the main Register Office of Bristol, situated just behind Penn Street, Broadmead, which is the principal shopping area of Bristol. Copies of Birth, Marriage and Death certificates can be obtained at Quakers Friars, but their indexes are different from the national ones, so do not use the 'GRO' reference number. For church marriages, you need to know the name of the church. Some records were lost due to bombing during the Second World War. The Register Office guarantee that certificates ordered by 12.00 midday will be ready by 3.00 pm the same day. If ordered after 12.00 they may be ready the same day but not guaranteed, otherwise next working day. A separate form is required for each certificate Application form here www.bristol-city.gov.uk/ centsups/pdf/birth_certificate.pdf Sounds good, but I would still telephone first Regards Sam

Tillot

Tillot Report 10 Feb 2005 09:50

Thanks Sammy and Barbara! Barbara, how come it cost you £8.50? I don't mind paying a bit extra if I can get it quicker, but I just wondered why.

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 10 Feb 2005 15:45

I paid £8.50 to Oxford RO - that was £7 for the cert and £1.50 handling charge to pay by credit card. I reckoned it was worth it to me: if I'd sent by post & cheque, I'd have had two lots of postage and two lots of envelopes to pay for and the process would have been delayed by at least 24 hours. Shops have to pay for the privilege of being paid by credit card and I doubt that the ROs get any concessions, so it's probably not an unreasonable extra, all-in-all. Christine