Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice needed on Manchester research

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Louise

Louise Report 9 Feb 2005 13:31

See below.

Louise

Louise Report 9 Feb 2005 13:32

In an attempt to knock down some of my brick walls I am planning to trip north to search for my more elusive ancestors in the Manchester parish records. Has anyone got advice on the best places to research family history in Manchester? I am particularly interested in the Roman Catholic records in the 18th and 19th centuries but any hints/tips would be most welcome. Many thanks, Louise

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Feb 2005 13:52

Hi Louise As far as I know pretty much everything is held at the Records Office and the Library who have good websites if only I can find the addie! http(:)//www(.)manchester(.)gov(.)uk/libraries/arls/archives(.)htm http(:)//www(.)gmcro(.)co(.)uk I've never used GMCRO (Greater Manchester County Records Office), I tend to use the library cos its more central and easier for me with trains from the village here but have got plans to pay GMCRO a visit at some point in the near future! Check them both out and see whether they hold what you want. Not needed to look for any RC stuff yet so wouldn't like to mis-advise you! The library is really user friendly and the staff are lovely! Manchester Cathedral holds its own records too and they have an archivist who you need to make an appointment to see (he's only part time!) but not sure whether that's of interest to you anyway! Lou

Seasons

Seasons Report 9 Feb 2005 13:57

When I was looking for info re marriage c1900 in Burnley/death Salford was advised by catholic archivist to go to the Preston Records Office. Haven't been yet.

Louise

Louise Report 9 Feb 2005 14:08

Thanks. The library definitely looks like a good place to start but it only has a partial records from Catholic churches. Guess I'll have to try to get to Preston as well. It's never easy, is it? Louise