Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

how come?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maudie

Maudie Report 9 Feb 2005 10:27

Hi my name is Jo Phillips, when I saw your web-site in a national paper, I went into genes reunited only to see on the screen, that my maiden name and my surname from berth appeared on my screen, I was adopted and have not had those 2 names for over 60 years, I find this really spooky, can ANYONE please help. Yours truly J Phillips

Nichola

Nichola Report 9 Feb 2005 10:29

Hi, Do you mean somebody else has submitted your details with your birth surname with correct year and place of birth. If so, have you tried to contact them to see how they know you. Nicky

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 9 Feb 2005 10:46

Was it just a listing of names? There are lots of people with the same name so it could just be a coincidence. You would have to be more specific. By the way, welcome to the site. Ann Glos

Debbie

Debbie Report 9 Feb 2005 11:06

It says you joined 24/3/2004 which is nearly a year ago. are you sure you havn't joined before and forgot, and came back on and you were signed on.

Seasons

Seasons Report 9 Feb 2005 11:09

Have just re-read your original message - perhaps you had a look awhile ago and entered your own birth name in which the computer recognised. Mind you I am amazed at lots of coincidences that have happened to me in my research for birth relatives but am of the view if its meant to happen it will. Have you checked in the name search to see if your name is there and place of birth (there are so many people with the same names, when I was called into the doctor for my appointment this woman pushed in front of me - thought it was a bit rude and then found she had the same name!!!!! that's spooky). If it is send a message - you may find that its addressed to you - my hubby listed separately as he had a look via friends reunited. It's quite possible that a member of your birth family are hoping you will get in touch. They have no way of knowing what your new name was or whether you would be interested. This way they hope that the natural curiousity of an adopted child to check out their original name might trigger a reunion. If this is the case I do hope it works out for you. I met up with my birth mother over 50 years after my adoption and am in contact with many half brothers and sisters. My birth mother was initially very reluctant (frightened of the consequences) but its turned out fine especially as we (my half brothers and sisters who also lost contact with her many many years ago) promised not to disrupt her new life.