Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Please dont take offence....BUT

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 9 Feb 2005 01:40

THIS IS SHOUTING................. this is not

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 9 Feb 2005 02:23

OK GERRI I'll try to remember that LOL Christine

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 9 Feb 2005 07:24

Hi Jon and Gerri, I agree with you both. I find capitals very hard to read. I don't understand text speak and I refuse to learn text speak. If I can't read it I can't help. I work with young people and they have learned that if they text me I require proper words and punctuation - or they don't get an answer. This is a cause of much amusement among them and sarcastically well- spelled and punctuated texts for me. Gwynne

Macbev

Macbev Report 9 Feb 2005 09:30

I remember this topic coming up a few years ago on a mailing list to which I subscribed. I've never forgotten the reply that came from one member -that she used caps.lock on her computer because she was disabled and found using the shift key etc just too difficult. I've kept quiet on the subject ever since, just in case....

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 9 Feb 2005 13:21

Im really sorry if I offended anyone with this thread. Please believe me that was not my intention. We get all sorts on these boards and I will be the first to hold my hand up as worlds worst at spelling but would never refuse help to anyone. After all, We all have the same interest/hobby/addiction. I have not yet mastered the video let alone the Computor! but I thought Id pass on what little I had learnt and that is...to some people CAPS LOCK can be offensive. Keep smiling everyone :o))) Gerri x

LIllian

LIllian Report 9 Feb 2005 15:44

I USE CAPITALS AS I DONT NEED TO USE ANY SHIFT KEYS OR WORRY ABOUT IF I HAVE FORGOTTEN TO PUT A CAPITAL LETTER AND I USE.... AS IT MEANS THIS IS SOMETHING NEW I AM TELLING YOU AND LEAVES A NICE SPACE BETWEEN THE CAPITALS.....I DONT HAVE A LOT OF SPARE PEACEFUL TIME AS THERE IS ALWAYS A FAMILY AROUND NEEDING HELP WITH SOMETHING OR OTHER...I AM USUALLY TRYING TO DRINK A CUP OF TEA OR EAT MY LUNCH OR MAKE A PHONE CALL AS I AM DOING NOW AND HAVE TO TYPE WITH ONE HAND...I ALSO HAVE TRAPPED NERVES IN MY WRISTS AND A MILD ARTHRITIS IN MY HANDS....AND THOUGH WHEN I HAVE TWO HANDS TO USE I TYPE QUITE QUICKLY AND MY GRAMMER IS NOT THAT BAD , I KEEP THE EFFORT FOR WHEN IT IS REALLY NEEDED....I SO LIKE JOINING IN ...TYPING IN CAPITALS MEANS I CAN DO MORE OFTEN .....SO SORRY MATE IF I OFFEND YOU ....DIDNT MEAN TO SHOUT AND WILL WATCH FOR YOUR BOARDS AND TYPE IN LOW KEY and be very very quiete

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Feb 2005 16:59

Gerri I once sent an e-mail to someone who had posted entirely in capitals, pointing out that this was equivalent to shouting, only to have her reply that she could only use capitals as her eyesight was really bad. I felt awful. So I see what you are saying, but sometimes there is another reason than ignorance! nell

Geoff

Geoff Report 9 Feb 2005 17:27

On one board I visit, one particular writer begins EVERY word with a capital letter - most annoying. It Is Not Very Easy To Tell Where One Sentence Ends And The Next One Begins As We Are Not Accustomed To Reading Things That Are Written In This Manner.

Peter

Peter Report 9 Feb 2005 17:28

Gwynne, I work in a school, and the amount of work I see handed in with text speak is getting beyond a joke. It seems that youngsters are becoming incabable of using vowels at all (most text speak just leaves vowels out). The teachers obviously reject this work, but if any form of language is used often enough, it eventually gets accepted, as many slang words of years gone by are common now.

Geoff

Geoff Report 9 Feb 2005 17:33

Peter They always used to be.

Stella

Stella Report 9 Feb 2005 20:03

Talking of text speak and at the risk of seeming really thick - what is 'LOL' that people keep putting at the end of sentences or messages? I came up with a few thoughts but 'Loads of Love' didn't seem right somehow! Stella

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 9 Feb 2005 20:22

Stella LOL simply means Laugh out loud

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 9 Feb 2005 20:33

Hi Peta, I'm afraid I do ignore requests for help that I cannot understand. Messages all in upper case or all in lower case with no punctuation are sometimes impossible to understand. If I can't understand what people want I can't help them. When I'm asking for help I make my request as clear and easy to understand as possible because I know that it is more likely to be answered. If others don't that's up to them but some people may be wondering why requests go unanswered and this thread may be helping to explain it. I appreciate that some people have conditions which mean they write all in upper case but on other boards I read these messages start "EXCUSE CAPS". When I see that I read on, although I have a real problem reading caps. And, Peter, I will never accept text speak as a form of communication! We have a beautiful and expressive language if only people took the trouble to use it properly. As the daughter of an English teacher and a Drama and English teacher myself, I would say that, wouldn't I? The easier it is to understand what you want the more likely you are to get it. Gwynne

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 10 Feb 2005 00:02

Hiya all, I dont much care if a request is in caps, or lower case, as long as it is clear and concise, help is help when all said and done. just stick to the 'Kiss' rule "Keep It Simple Silly" Have fun !!!! Regards Julie