Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1837 marriages

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Eagles 4

Eagles 4 Report 8 Feb 2005 22:16

confused - see below

Eagles 4

Eagles 4 Report 8 Feb 2005 22:19

I've been trying for ages to find the marriage of my great uncle James Hagan to a Jessie Hartnoll. Just spent tonight trawling through 1837online and found in the Jan quarter of 1910 a James Hagan registered in Stockport vol 8a page 78. I then looked under Hartnoll in the same quarter and found a Jessie Hartnoll registered in Torrington vol 5b page 929. Is this my couple? Would they be registered in different districts? Or is it just a coincidence that two people with the same names married??

Margaret

Margaret Report 8 Feb 2005 22:30

Its a coincidence Both couples should be the same reg district and the same vol and page Margaret

Eagles 4

Eagles 4 Report 8 Feb 2005 22:31

Darn, that's not the answer I wanted!!! LOL

LIllian

LIllian Report 9 Feb 2005 00:46

DID READ SOME WHERE ABOUT DISTRICTS MOVING OR BOARDERS CHANGING......ONE SET OF RECORDS GOING ONE WAY AND WHEN CHURCH RECORDS SENT IN THEY GO ANOTHER WAY...OR SOMRTHING TO THAT EFFECT...REALLY CANT REMEMBER AS IT WAS JUST SOMETHING I READ ON THE WAY TO SOMETHING ELSE AND IT SAID ABOUT THINGS BEING DOCUMENTED TWICE..OR BEING TRANSCRIBED TWICE ...LOOK INTO IT FUTHER BEFORE YOU GET DISHEARTENED...

Margaret

Margaret Report 9 Feb 2005 07:16

Lilian If the registration districts arent the same then how can they have married aech other? 8 is Lancs area, 5 is the South West. If you start ordering certs with different areas and ref no.s you will waste an awful lot of money, believe me!! Margaret

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 9 Feb 2005 08:04

It looks as though James Hagan 1910 Stockport married one of these two: Marriages Mar 1910 HAGAN James Stockport 8a 78 Phillips Hannah Stockport 8a 78 Waring Rose Stockport 8a 78 ...whereas Jessie Hartnoll of Torrington married one of these two gents: Marriages Mar 1910 Hartnoll Jessie Torrington 5b 929 Alford John Torrington 5b 929 Pickard John Torrington 5b 929