Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How many of your ancestors had children after they

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Louise

Louise Report 8 Feb 2005 20:47

Just found 3 children born to his widow several years after my great uncle died but given his surname! I guess I'll have to order the birth certs to find out who the father was as she did not remarry until much later. Has anyone else come across similar situations in their trees? Louise

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 8 Feb 2005 20:54

Hi, There may well not be a father named. But the mother's name is legally hers so the child has the same name even though she is a widow. Gwynne

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 8 Feb 2005 21:23

Yep, Great Great Grandmother was widowed at the early age of 36 and had two sons after her husband's death. Baptisms were recorded as "Illegitimate son of........" in both cases with no father recorded. She later married another chap but these two boys carried her earlier married name on, even thought they were not her first husbands children.

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 8 Feb 2005 21:34

My great grandmother had twins born prematurely ten months after their fathers death. Now someone had to be telling porkies or it was a very long pregnancy. Of course! I've got it now, my great gran must've been an elephant. Looks like I'll be phoning London Zoo in the morning :-)

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 8 Feb 2005 21:44

My GGGrandmother had 3 kids after her husband died. She never re-married, and they all have his surname lol