Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Pair of eyes please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Heather

Heather Report 8 Feb 2005 19:20

Can someone have a look at the occupation of James Hanson aged 64 in Bethnal Green on the 1871 census please (with wife Esther, son George, daughter Mary Ann Asbey). In the 1851 he was a lighterman, it now says tobbaconist and ..............? bit of a change of work, wasnt it. Can anyone see what the second word is please. Im sure its something simple but my brain cant do it. Many thanks.

Smiley

Smiley Report 8 Feb 2005 19:32

Gawd.. It looks like Flats..

Tony

Tony Report 8 Feb 2005 19:37

Could be Flater Tabacco process???

Heather

Heather Report 8 Feb 2005 19:37

Glad its not just me then! Another thing I want to find out now that I am at last on the track of the Hansons thanks to Joan and Lou last week bless them - the youngest boy George is it theirs or the daughters and I can now see the daughter has a surname in her name - Asbey. I thought this may be the mothers surname for looked up an Esther Asbey for a marriage and guess what there she is marrying SAMUEL Hanson with James Hanson as a witness. Now, what do I make of that. Was she married to Sam then Jim and George is Jims - what a complex life they led, worse than East Enders now, isnt it.

Heather

Heather Report 8 Feb 2005 19:41

Is that a job Tony or are you making it up! lol Ive looked on old occupations but cant see it. And it does say on the census (I think!!) tobbaconist and .......... What would a tobboconist sell as well as tobacco? Not fags is it?!?:) Ill go back and have another look. Ive looked again, do you think that it begins with O rather than that being an "and"? If you see what I mean

Smiley

Smiley Report 8 Feb 2005 19:44

Could it be Tobacconist & Hatter? There are a few of them

Heather

Heather Report 8 Feb 2005 19:46

Really Sam, thats a weird combination isnt it. What they sold cigs and hats? Thanks sam, it did cross my mind originally it was hatter but such a strange combination. I think I will have a look in historical directories to see if he is mentioned there. Thanks everyone!!

Tony

Tony Report 8 Feb 2005 19:57

Cant find any clues in Encyclopidia but there were many types of tabacco sold for pipes and some was flat peices Ready rubbed etc.

Glen

Glen Report 8 Feb 2005 19:58

How about Tobacconist & Stationer

Glen

Glen Report 8 Feb 2005 19:59

Sorry Barbara, you got there before me.

Heather

Heather Report 8 Feb 2005 20:03

Blow me, you are all so brilliant. I wonder which it is. I will have yet another look! Still a big shift from lighterman though isnt it. Though I can tell the whole family were pretty well upwardly achieving. I mean a lighterman was above average job and the sons (my GGFx2) became a Master cabinet carver and I can see the younger boy George is a carpenter, so perhaps the old man did want to better himself. Back to the image!

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Feb 2005 20:06

There's a Tobacconist & Stationery shop here in our village, it's been going since the 1850's apparantly, so maybe it was quite a common combination Lou

Heather

Heather Report 8 Feb 2005 20:07

Yes I see what you mean an abbreviated Statnr? But Im a bit worried about the S. All the other S are sitting on the line. If you look at the Fireman at the bottom, you can see the F drops below the line, like on James' occupation. Oh yes Lou, I can understand that as a combo more than the hatter. But as sam said, Ive googled and there are quite a lot of tobacconists and hatters would you believe. I suppose a real "gentleman's shop"!

Louise

Louise Report 8 Feb 2005 20:37

Hi Heather, I agree that the first letter doesn't look like the other S's on this or the neighbouring pages. But, then again, it doesn't look much like anything else! I thought it was a abbreviation of hatter until I read more of this thread but now I'm not so sure. I guess this may be one of those where you get to pick the occupation you like best until something else comes along to help you clarify the situation! You said he was a lighterman in 1851 but have you found him on the 1861 yet. Maybe that would give some hint on this puzzling transformation. Louise

Heather

Heather Report 8 Feb 2005 20:46

Hi Lou, I dont have access to the 1861, guess I could ask for a look up but dont like to keep asking! I will whip over to records board and ask. Thanks.

Heather

Heather Report 11 Feb 2005 22:24

Hi everyone, just an update. Have found the guy living with his son in law and daughter aged 76 and a 'retired STATIONER' Thought youd all be desperate to know that! Thanks everyone.

Smiley

Smiley Report 12 Feb 2005 00:10

I can sleep tonight now ;)