Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ADVICE PLEEEEASE!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 8 Feb 2005 18:43

Thanks to sks on this board I've found my gg grandfather on the 1861 at Colchester Infantry Barracks. He was just 18 (by about a week or so). Does anyone know the age which it was legal for someone to enlist? He stayed in the army, 16th regiment on foot, up until 1886, where he appears on his son's birth cert as 'army pensioner'. He was in the 16th in 1871, 1875 (when he married) and I believe he went to India with them in 1875 up until about 1882. IS there someway I can tace his enlistment? His pension?? He died in 1922. Please advice anyone!! Chloe (may not reply for a couple of hours as am going out to volunteer at local youth club)

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Feb 2005 18:48

Can't help with your specific query, but I know that my grandfather enlisted in 1913 in the Royal Engineers and lied about his age to get in. He said he was 16 when he was only 15, but no one checked anything. I have his papers which give his date of joining and various other info. You might find his regimental museum can help, and also this info from The National Archives: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/militaryhistory/ nell

Seasons

Seasons Report 8 Feb 2005 18:54

One of hubbys was on the 1841 census in the 71st Regiment of Foot as a 15 year old. I'm hoping to go to Kew to see if I can find him on the muster list for 1840/41. Vaguely remember working for someone who had joined the Royal Navy at 13 as an officer cadet - don't know how long the training was.

Heather

Heather Report 8 Feb 2005 19:00

Hi I believe it was 14. My hubbys GGFx2 was just 18 and I wanted to find out when they could marry. Cant remember the site now but it said if they enlisted at 14 they could marry at 26 or 30 if they enlisted at 18. Poor little sods, eh?

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 8 Feb 2005 22:00

Thanks. Does anyone know if I might be able to trace his pension, how much he got etc? I do wonder why he left home, and didn't stay in the same area. He must have really hated the country way of living! Chloe

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 8 Feb 2005 22:11

Have looked at PROCAT, but can't seem to find anything relevant. Has anyone searched from scratch before? I guess he would have join from 1857 (aged 14) to 1861 (when he is on the census with them). Please help! I don;t know where I should be looked for a reference/document number so if I ever make a trip up to Kew I will know what to look at! Chloe

Ann

Ann Report 8 Feb 2005 22:31

Hi Chloe My father enlisted into the regular army at 14 and lied saying he was 18 this was approx 1930 so obviously did not check up then either My problem is I do not know how to find what regiment he served in Good Luck with your search Ann

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 8 Feb 2005 22:43

Thanks. I am lucky that it was written down on his marriage certificate, otherwise I'd have no idea. I don't know which regiment my grandfather served in in WWII. Also have a royal marine, my great great grandfather, William Henry BESSANT, but no clue as to where he was stationed. Does anyone know how to work PROCAT?????