Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Viewing Marriage Certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hollie

Hollie Report 8 Feb 2005 13:22

Hi all I've been on the Family Relatives website and found details of my grandparents marriage certificate however I can not view the image due to software. Is there any other web sites which allow you to enter the information and view marriage certificates? Thanks!

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 8 Feb 2005 13:23

Even the family relatives site doesn't allow that. All you see is the page which lists the GRO ref for it.

Joy

Joy Report 8 Feb 2005 13:30

As Tracy, said, no - you have to pay for the certificate. Joy

Heather

Heather Report 8 Feb 2005 13:46

If you have the reference for the marriage you can go to the GRO site and order the cert.

Hollie

Hollie Report 8 Feb 2005 14:07

Thanks everyone. I've only got the page number, what district and quarter it is in. I don't think the GRO will let me order this online without a specific date or will it?

Heather

Heather Report 8 Feb 2005 14:09

Hi Hollie If you live in the area where your grandparents were married you might find that the parish records were filmed and the films are held in the library of the local town where you can view them and print off a copy of the certificate. Heather

Heather

Heather Report 8 Feb 2005 14:10

Yes as long as you have the year, district, page and volume no. and names obviously! Go to the GRO site - they will ask what sort of cert you want - obviously Marriage then it will ask if you have the GRO ref. If you have that you can ignore all the specific date stuff and go down to the bit where you fill in the reference. Then you double check it and click to pay by card. It will ask if you have a personal reference - leave it blank or make one up. Good luck

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 8 Feb 2005 14:12

Depends on the date of the event. For marriages that occurred more than 50 years ago, you just need one of the names (bride or groom), district, year, quarter, volume & page number. For more recent events I think that you need the exact date of the event when ordering online (and possibly the names of both parties).

Heather

Heather Report 8 Feb 2005 14:20

Yes because of my age, I tend to think everyones grandparents married at least 50 years ago!

Hollie

Hollie Report 8 Feb 2005 14:23

Thanks everyone.