Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

IN THE NAVY

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda G

Linda G Report 7 Feb 2005 16:26

Got a new birth certificate this morning and father is listed as a mechanician in the Royal Navy. Anyone know if there is a website for Royal Navy Archive? Or where you would have to go to find anything out? Thanks Linda

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 7 Feb 2005 16:58

I think all records are held at Kew. Unless it is fairly recent when they may be at Centurion Gosport. Ann Glos

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Feb 2005 19:47

hi linda,lots of sites you can look up on , service pals.com forcesreunited.org.uk old.oppos.co.uk. www.mod.uk . and national archives,just a few but lots more, some are free to join , if you know what ships your father served on ,you could get good info by just serching the ship, regards tony

Anne

Anne Report 7 Feb 2005 19:58

If this is an 'old' record (early 1900s or before?) there's a fantastic amount of stuff at Kew. Unfortunately you have to go there or pay someone else to do so. Its not the sort of thing that takes a few minutes. With luck you could find a full service record. If the records you are wanting are more recent I think there are other routes to take and some may not be disclosed yet. I've not done that so can't advise. Anne

Janet

Janet Report 7 Feb 2005 20:26

Navy records up to 1922 are definitely at Kew but 1922 on wards you have to apply to Gosport and prove next of kin. Cost £25 and a long wait. Janet