Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

what is gedcom?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 7 Feb 2005 12:55

When I go to the Latter Day Saints site I can download files using gedcom but my computer at home won't allow me, for some reason. I don't know what gedcom is, when I attempt this at work, (unknown to the boss of course), it will allow me to download and open the file but I don't want to incase I mess something up. How can I get my home computer to download these files, and will I get anymore info from them? Jane

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Feb 2005 13:19

You will need a Family History Programme such as PAF5 which is downloadable from the LDS Site. Gedcom is a prog which was designed by LDS for transferring genealogical info. Once you have PAF5 you will be able to download a gedcom file into it. Jim

Jane

Jane Report 7 Feb 2005 13:57

Thanking you Grandpa Jim. jane

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Feb 2005 14:06

you could download it at home, then upload it into this site - GR trees are Gedcom. BUT you will have to delete any tree you have built on here. Menu on the left - underneath the irritating blue O2 advert is an item called IMPORT/EXPORT - click it and read the help notes. You wont see any more in the LDS gedcom they download for you other than what you can display from the search ...

Heather

Heather Report 7 Feb 2005 14:08

Im being a thicko here - but what files can you download from LDS apart from the IGI and census stuff? And if its a gedcom thats doing it, I wonder why the puter at work has one instaleld? Not sure if it is a gedcom you are talking about possibly PDF?

Jane

Jane Report 7 Feb 2005 14:14

Many thanks Laird have had a look at the Latter Day Saints site and found what I need to download, many thanks for your reply. Jane