Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Behold I show you a mystery

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 7 Feb 2005 10:19

After ages of searching for a birth or marriage certificate for Robert H Munro born in Clerkenwell 1826, I finally found a marriage for him in Bath, Avon , SOmerset in 1842. I know from census information that he married Hephzibah Higgins but her marriage shows up in 1846 with the same volume number but a different page number. The coincidence of them both having the same names and being different people , livng in Hackney and marrying in Avon is a bit too much (even for me). WHat do you think happened?

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 7 Feb 2005 10:32

Hi Jennifer It wouldn't be unusual to find people out of there usual area to get married and the difference in the page number could just be that they happened not to fit on one page together?? I guess the only way you'll know for sure is to order the certificate but it looks to me like youv'e found them. Sheila

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 7 Feb 2005 10:38

I have found them in 1846 - not 1842 as the ancestry.com site said. I found them on 1837 online and orderd the certificate so all should be revealed soon. I was surprised that they went to Bath to get married because I thought they were very poor - but there you go!

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 7 Feb 2005 10:46

maybe someone paid for a holiday and they combined it with getting married

Geoff

Geoff Report 7 Feb 2005 11:11

People marrying each other will ALWAYS be on the same page - a marriage certificate cannot be split between two different pages! If they really are on different pages, they are parts of different couples.

Margaret

Margaret Report 7 Feb 2005 11:16

Geoff is correct. Marrying couple always have the same vol and page number. Thats how you cross reference them. But, you dont need both names to order the cert. If you look at the online form, only one of the names is mandatory. Margaret

Geoff

Geoff Report 7 Feb 2005 16:46

You may be able to look at the images on FreeBMD to check if there was a mistranscription and determine which number is correct.

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 7 Feb 2005 17:08

I eventually looked on 1837 online and found that the 1846 date was correct. I knew my ggg grandmother's name because I had her son's birth certifcate. How many Hephzibah Higgins can there be? :)

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 7 Feb 2005 17:09

I think the ANcestry.com information was misrecorded.

Elizabeth Anne

Elizabeth Anne Report 7 Feb 2005 17:23

Sorry to butt in on this thread but found it interesting because I have the same problem. I found John Hale married 1888 Warminster, Vol 1a, page 235. However the other three marriages on the page were all from Kensington. I know that John Hale came from Warminster, Wiltshire and the volume page is usually 5a. I am sure I have found his wife Emma Trollope on vol 5a, page 235, with two women and one man listed. Could the Volume numbers have been mixed up on Free BMD, because the page numbers are the same? I have the 1901 census and the wife`s name is Emma. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Anne

Elizabeth Anne Report 7 Feb 2005 18:28

Vivienne, Thank you so much for your help so kind of you. Wonderful news, now I can add this information to my tree. You are such wonderful people on this site, always willing to help others. Elizabeth