Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

can u help?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 6 Feb 2005 21:43

My Ggrandfather Richard Thorne married Sarah Webber in 1896. I have this certificate. She is 29 and her father is Charles Webber. I have found her with her family on 1871 and 1881 census. Age tallies and also her sister Honor was her witness when she married. I have also found their baptisms on familysearch site. This states their mothers maiden name as Tarr. I searched 1837 site and found a few Sarahs that could be her birth. I rang Taunton rgo and they were very, very helpful and searched for me. The ones I found didnt match, as one had different father and the other no father, so they searched through about ten years for me and found one which matched father. So I said I think the mothers name was Tarr. Too my amazement she said "yes it is ". So I bought this certificate but it is nine years out. 1858 not 1867. What do you think? Did they have another Sarah first who possibly died and if so why cant I find my Sarah? Thankyou Sue

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 6 Feb 2005 21:49

Could she have deliberately mislaid new husband about her age do you think? Oh no you have checked with censuses. It was quite common to name a child after one who died. Was there no Sarah in 1867 that matched at all? even with a different Mother, same reg area. Maybe Mum Tarr died and he remarried. Ann Glos

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 6 Feb 2005 21:53

If you're aged 29 part way through 1896, then you could have been born in 1866; but you said they searched a lot of years, hence finding the earlier birth. The scenario of a child dying young and a later child being given the same name isn't uncommon. People don't always tell the truth about their ages on marriage certs, although, if the census ages tally, that would encourage you to believe that the marriage cert age was ok. Was there a "female" birth (u.e. un-named) registered anywhere near the right time, with the right parentage? It doesn't always mean the child died young. Perhaps someone else can come up with some more ideas. good hunting! Christine

Susan

Susan Report 6 Feb 2005 21:53

Thanks for your reply Ann I thought that too but as I have found her on all census years and her ages match with her age on marriage certificate!! Confusing isn't it? Sue

Susan

Susan Report 6 Feb 2005 21:58

Thans Christine I appreciate eveyones thoughts as i'm not sure what to do next. I havent searched for an unnamed birth, not sure where to start with that one!! Lol I have rang the Rgo a few times now and so i'm hoping they wont get fed up with me. Sue

Susan

Susan Report 6 Feb 2005 22:06

Ann The Rgo searched for me and the one I found that matched had no father named. I thought about buying her sisters birth certificate to see if her father is named. But not sure as this hobbie is already costly!! Sue