Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Police training 1870 onwards

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue

Sue Report 6 Feb 2005 12:02

I have found a rellie who was shown as Police Constable on 1881 census in Woking Surrey. I have not been able to find much about him before this and wondered if anyone knew if/where he might have undertaken any training as a policeman? He married at Hartley Wintney Hants 1873 but was born in Surrey. His elder children were born at Elstead Surrey. He doesnt appear to have moved much from the area. Thanks Sue

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 6 Feb 2005 12:11

Do you know, I never heard that my grandfather had any training before he was let loose upon the good people of Surrey. Descriptions of the earliest policemen seem to be: Monday: taken on Tuesday: dismissed for being drunk on duty If I can find our 100 years of the Surrey Police book, which I haven't seen for years, perhaps that will say something. B

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Feb 2005 12:11

Sue Records of other [ie non-Metropolitan] Police Forces, except the Royal Irish Constabulary, are not public records. Those which survive are held either by the appropriate local record office or the force itself. By googling I found this site on the History of the Surrey police, which you might find interesting: www*.surrey*.police*.uk/aboutus_history_item*.asp?artid=1097 remove * to find. nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Feb 2005 12:13

My Norfolk great-uncles all came to London and 6 of them joined the Met and one the City of London police force. According to my dad's story they spent most of their on-duty hours dealing with drunks and fights. Training was not as important as toughness! nell

Trevor

Trevor Report 6 Feb 2005 12:13

Hi there, I have researched relatives in the Police Force prior to 1881, Your local Records Office should be able to tell you where they are located. In my case it was Taunton ,where I was able to look at the Somerset Police force, It told me of wages. children, even the fact that he was disiplined in 1878 for asking people for Xmas presents. Good searching Trevor

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 6 Feb 2005 12:56

Thanks for that link, Nell. As my grandfather was in the Surrey police during WW1, my mother joined as uniformed office staff in 1942 and worked at Mount Browne (the loos were wonderful flowered earthenware with mahogany seats!) a good many of the sections were relevant.

Sue

Sue Report 6 Feb 2005 21:25

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Will see what I can find. Sue

Frances in Norwich

Frances in Norwich Report 6 Feb 2005 23:00

Hi Sue, My grandfather joined the police force in Norfolk in 1908. Through my research I have discovered that there was no real training given. My grandfather had books from which he educated himself about the law. I have been told by a police historian, that this was unusual. Hope this helps. Frances

Peter

Peter Report 6 Feb 2005 23:35

Hants police have a museum on line. It might be able to help/ The address is www.hants.*gov.*uk/hchs remove*

Heather

Heather Report 6 Feb 2005 23:38

Frances, I noticed in the local paper this week that at the Police HQ in Wymondham there is a retired police officer who has set about recording all the police for Norfolk back to the Victorian period. May be worth giving them a ring?