Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DISHEARTENED

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Doreen

Doreen Report 5 Feb 2005 01:16

I HAVE JUST GONE THROUGH THE LAST GIBBS NAME WHOSE MOTHERS MAIDEN NAME WAS HUMBLE I HAVE GOT MARGARET WHO WAS BORN IN 1946 IN BIRMINGHAM BUT NO OTHER CHRISTIAN NAMES IM ALL WORN OUT ITS NOW 1 OCLOCK IN THE MORNING IF ANYONE HAS ANY BRAINWAVES ON HOW TO FIND MY OTHER HALF BROTHERS AND SISTERS IWOULD BE SO GRATEFUL, IF ONLY SOMEONE HAD TOLD ME THEIR NAMES YEARS AND YEARS AGO WOULD,NT BE HAVING THIS PROBLEM NOW, I WISH I HAD ASKED MORE QUESTIONS WHEN IWAS YOUNG TOO LATE AT 65yrs THANK YOU FROM DOREEN PS. IKNOW THEY COME FROM BIRMINGHAM.

Alyson.

Alyson. Report 5 Feb 2005 01:57

Hi Dorreen. I cannot offer any advice as i am disheartened with not being able to find some of mine too. Just wanted to wish you luck and hope you find them soon. Best wishes. Alyson

Crista

Crista Report 5 Feb 2005 02:13

Doreen, All I can say is to try and figure out the child bearing years of the mother and save every image you view so you can check it again. Crista

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Feb 2005 09:28

Doreen this may be of no comfort but being disheartened is part of genealogy! Best thing to do is to forget all about it and do something else for a bit and then return refreshed and determined. Good luck! nell

Heather

Heather Report 5 Feb 2005 10:09

Dont be too disheartened - its amazing how when you give up suddenly something comes up. I had been looking for one couple for about 6 months and had given up ever finding them. Thanks to wonderful Joan and Lou in one hour the other night they found my GGFx2 on a census and his marriage ref. That led to finding his father and now through the great Chloe and her lighterman records I have details going back to 1700's on that family. Just a few days ago I had given up on them! Chin up, itll all come round in the end.

Kate

Kate Report 5 Feb 2005 10:12

If you know their parents' names you can look them up on the National Probate Calendar to see if they left wills which would probably name their children. In fact, if you know roughly when the parents died I could look them up for you the next time I go to our local archives which have the National Probate Calendar up to 1968, but if they died after 1968 you will have to find a copy that goes further than that!

Colleen

Colleen Report 5 Feb 2005 11:41

DOREEN, NEVER GIVE UP..A NICE GENTLE MAN GAVE ME ALL THE FULL INITIALS AND STREET NAMES OF ALL THE MACKAYS IN EMBO.I SAT AND WROTE TO SIX OF THEM(SO FAR) AND I HAD ONE REPLY AND SHE LOOKS LIKE MY BEST LEAD IN YEARS.....EMBO (scotland) IS A SMALL TOWN SO I WAS A BIT LUCKY...(I AM IN AUSTRALIA AND CAN NOT DO A LOT FROM HERE)......KEEP TRYING... REGARDS COLLEEN

Lucky

Lucky Report 5 Feb 2005 11:49

Hi doreen, Just a thought is anybody doing a one name study of the surname. I got some information once from somebody doing this for one of my names. You can look on the goon's site, google for the address. You might be lucky, Diane

Shaun

Shaun Report 5 Feb 2005 11:55

Doreen, I can only agree with all the good advice everyone has given you, I too had hit a brickwall and was recently looking through my notebook which I jot things in as I view images when I spotted something I'ld missd. This encouraged me to look at all my previously viewed images on Scotlandspeople. What a result, I noticed that one brother of my gg grandfather was a widower on his marriage cert. Started digging and found his first wedding, then started looking for kids. Next thing I know I've tripped over an illigitimate son his aunt had so now I've two new threads to follow when I had given up. Keep your chin up and keep trying there is a good chance something will turn up. Shaun

~¤§ Lara Linga Longa §¤~

~¤§ Lara Linga Longa §¤~ Report 5 Feb 2005 12:06

Doreen don't be upset we all have setbacks thats all part of it we just pick ourselves up and dust ourselves off and start all over again I have a missing great grandfather on my nans side and a missing gggrandfather on my Pas side too, I think one gg grand father was a fibber and the other was a "B" who walked out on 9 children and his wife and was never seen again as far as I know, but all these things are sent to try us so hang in there and the truth will out as they say Love to all who are searching Laraine

Sheila

Sheila Report 5 Feb 2005 12:08

HI Doreen, Are yoou loking for your hald siblings who were born from yoour fathers previous marriage? If you found 1 in 1946 for Maragret, have you tried about 5 years on either side of this, also is it possible they were born before they were married. and registered under the surname Humble. On the plus side you have found Margaret dont give up now, Good Luck with your search. Sheila

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 5 Feb 2005 13:27

If the mother had been married before, she may have used her previous name when recording some of the births. I have seen this happening before and it can make searches a tad more exciting. Good luck B