Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is it possible to find British subjects born in In

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Genevieve

Genevieve Report 5 Feb 2005 00:10

My Gt Gran (MARGARET BARBARA DROWNEY - 1877) was born and orphaned in India, Bangalore she lived in the good Shepherds Convent in Bangalore. Is there anyway of finding out who her parents were? Would her birth of been registered? If so how would I trace it? Thanks Genni

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Feb 2005 00:11

Genni There's an overseas section to 1837 online which lists births. might be worth a look Lou

Genevieve

Genevieve Report 5 Feb 2005 00:12

Thanks Lou I'll go have a look! Genni

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 5 Feb 2005 05:53

If you don't have any luck with the GRO records, you can get the parish registers from the LDS - Title: Parish register transcripts from the Presidency of Madras, 1698-1948 Baptisms, marriages, burials v. 58 1877 FHL BRITISH Film 521865 I believe that the same records are available at Kew. Richard

Kate

Kate Report 5 Feb 2005 10:09

There is also the FIBIS website which has a database you can search, I found my great-great-grandparents marriage on it but haven't found any births of my family on it, I think it has some births though, anyway well worth looking at. www (.) fibis (.) org remove spaces and brackets.

Heather

Heather Report 5 Feb 2005 10:12

On ancestry there is a section for British Officers in India. That may be handy once you have her parents names and if they were there in the army.

Genevieve

Genevieve Report 5 Feb 2005 12:30

Thanks everyone! thats given me a few places to look tonight! fingers crossed i find something. I live 5 mins from Kew so I might go there next weekend and have a look. Gen

Genevieve

Genevieve Report 5 Feb 2005 12:47

I cant use the search engine on FIBIS it crashes my computer for some reason! does anyone know of any simular sites?

Heather

Heather Report 5 Feb 2005 13:15

5 minutes from Kew eh? Could you manage b and b for 20 in the summer???

Kate

Kate Report 5 Feb 2005 15:19

I looked her name up for you on FIBIS and got no results. I don't know of any other website with the same info on, sorry.