Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advise - don't know where to start looking

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Samantha

Samantha Report 4 Feb 2005 23:22

Can anyone out there help me??? I'm stuck in N Ireland and have found out my gg grandfather, Arthur George King was English. All I know is he was born approx 1871 (possibly Kent),his father was called Arthur King, he was a soldier, he married Margaret Sullivan in Tralee in 1891, moved to Belfast in 1893 and died there in 1933. I really don't know how I can trace him with so little info. Thanks Sammi

Margaret

Margaret Report 4 Feb 2005 23:23

Sammi Have you looked on the 1881 census Free on www.familysearch.org See what it says on there Margaret

Samantha

Samantha Report 4 Feb 2005 23:37

Thanks Margaret. I've found a couple there, but I've no idea how to tell if they are my Arthur George or not. Unfortunately, I don't know what his mothers name was. Sammi

Margaret

Margaret Report 4 Feb 2005 23:41

Sammi You will need to find his birth cert Margaret

Margaret

Margaret Report 4 Feb 2005 23:52

Sammi I have looked on the 1881 census for an Arthur King with a father Arthur, no luck with your dates. I tried George incase he used his middle name, still no luck You really do need to try to track down his birth cert Margaret

Margaret

Margaret Report 4 Feb 2005 23:55

On the 1891 census I found a Arthur J King who was a soldier born Windsor age 19. Or was it his father who was the soldier? Do you know his regiment? Margaret

Wendy

Wendy Report 4 Feb 2005 23:57

Again I have to ask how you have got that far back without knowing more about the family? Have you really started with you. And then your parents, and then your grandparents. If so, you should have more info on your great grandfather. If not, then that is what you should do. Sorry if I am being pedantic, but you cannot research a man in a vacuum! You have to know more about him first. Please work backwards from what you know is true, and then you will find him. How do you know your gg grandfather was Arthur George King b.c. 1871 Kent, father Arthur? How do you know he married Margaret Sullivan 1893 and died 1933? If this is from the IGI, beware, King is not exactly an uncommon name, and the IGI is full of pitfalls. Use it as a clue, not as fact.

Samantha

Samantha Report 5 Feb 2005 00:02

Wendy, what I know is true. One of his granddaughters is still alive and has given me info. I know roughly when he was born from the Ireland 1901 census and cemetry details. I have a copy of his marriage cert from Tralee, but I'm stuck there. I can look at Arthur Kings all day but have no idea how to narrow it down! I don't know anything about the army other than he was based in Tralee at one stage. Sammi

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 5 Feb 2005 00:05

I had a look on FreeBMD and the only Kent birth for Arthur King in 1871 seems to be Dec Qtr KING Arthur Charles Milton 2a 744 however March Qtr King Arthur George Marylebone 1a 474 & September Qtr King Arthur George Portsea 2b 444 cheers Christine

Samantha

Samantha Report 5 Feb 2005 00:06

Margaret, I'm afraid I don't know his regiment. All I know is that he was based in Tralee at one stage, probably when he was married there in 1891. Thanks for you tips Sammi

Wendy

Wendy Report 5 Feb 2005 00:13

Samantha, I apologise. Too many people make too many false assumptions, but you obviously have the proof. I wish I could help, but know nothing of Ireland. I will watch your thread with interest.

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Feb 2005 00:41

Samantha Was he in the British Army, do you know? Have you tried the National Archives site to see whether you can get any more information from that about his possible regiment? Lou