Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Nieces family history school projects

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 4 Feb 2005 20:45

I was vaguely aware that my nieces had produced family history projects for school (they're now in their late 30's or 40's). I didn't think they'd be worth looking at, after all kids know nothing....... Very true, but they did ask my mum and dad lot's of questions, so their project work contains my parents memories. I didn't start tracing the family tree until after my parents had died. My point? If you have any family member who has produced a family history project at school, just remember that project may contain memories you know nothing about. Paul

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 4 Feb 2005 21:01

Oh Paul how true! I have a vague recollection of doing one myself when I was about 10. My maternal Grandad, paternal Grandma and maternal great Aunt were alive then and gave me a wealth of information. But alas it got thrown out a few years later. I didn't start doing my tree until after the deaths of my Grandma, great Aunt and Dad. My Grandad was still alive when I started but unfortunately his memory was failing him somewhat. BUT I am happy to tell you that my Grandma did write a book about her life which has been a great help. And I won't be throwing that away! Jeanette x

Heather

Heather Report 4 Feb 2005 21:07

Hi Paul My cousin gave me a copy of the family tree that she drew up as part of her history project and as she'd asked our eldest uncle for information it has been interesting to see how it compares to what I've found on the census records. My mum, you see, was the youngest of the family and many of the relatives had died before she was born. Heather

Marilyn

Marilyn Report 4 Feb 2005 21:38

Hi everyone I had a book given to me its called Our Family History - its got a wealth of information at the start and a section for Immediate Family then wifes and husbands which can be filled in and Emigration, Weddings, Religious Occasions , Education and lots more plus places for photos it was printed in 1993 by Reed International Books Ltd ISBN 0 7537 0835 3 I think that it might still be available. Marilyn

Paula

Paula Report 4 Feb 2005 21:56

I remember having a little book with a small family tree to fill in when i was a child and my grandad helped me fill it in. Not sure where the book is now but when i started tracing my family tree and was looking granddads parents on the 1901 census i knew the surname (which is the same as mine) and as soon as i saw their forenames i remembered the book and i knew i had found the right people Paula