Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where do I look now?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 4 Feb 2005 17:37

John Ruff born Battersea Surrey(now London) Father Stephen George Ruff Mother Elizabeth. Stephen 7 and John age 1 living 140 Grant Rd Battersea In 1881 Census. Tried BMD nothing ,Tried 1837 oct 1879 to oct 1881 nothing. Family Search 1880 Battersea Parish. Please can someone tell me where to look now? Margaret

Margaret

Margaret Report 4 Feb 2005 18:47

Thanks Georgina I have altered it to Elizabeth . Hope someone will know where to look, Margaret

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Feb 2005 18:49

Margaret If you've checked 1837 and he isn't on freebmd or ancestry, the only place left to look is parish registers, unless John was his middle name that he used and he was given a different name at birth! Lou

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 4 Feb 2005 18:54

Are you sure of the spelling of the surname? On 1837online there is a birth June qtr. 1879, Camberwell, 1d, page 806 for a John Rough. Kath. x

Margaret

Margaret Report 4 Feb 2005 21:51

Thanks everyone Kathleen I have tried The Rough family almost sure not mine. Barbara I think the john you found is not mine he belongs to a different family and I think I found him again in 1891. The 1881 census gives johns birthplace as Battersea and the census place as Battersea .I know where the street is and it was behind Clapham Junction Station Battersea .Perhaps I will try the local churches as some of my children were christened near there. Thanks again everyone.

Christine2

Christine2 Report 4 Feb 2005 22:27

Margaret Isn't Holborn near Battersea? There is a John Ruff birth 1880 Jan-March Holborn 1b 822. But I assume that you saw this one? Chrissie

Margaret

Margaret Report 4 Feb 2005 22:34

Georgina Thats the one I am searching for Thanks I do have it thats why i'm sure he is Battersea born. Chrissie Holborn is a bit of a way off and a bit upmarket for my lot but I may send for that one just in case mum had the baby while hob nobbing.lol

Wendy

Wendy Report 4 Feb 2005 22:36

I have to ask how you arrived at this family. Have you found them in 1891 or 1901? You may learn more about them if you take them back one generation at a time. Have you traced them back from known family? Do you know therefore what the ocupation was and where they are likely to have been born or living? I may be wrong, in which case I apologise, but if you are trying to find a family out of the blue you can never be sure they are yours. You have to start with known family, siblings, occupation, place of birth etc to find the right family in 1901 and then progress backwards. Again I apologise if you have done this, but it is not clear from your post. If you have, more details could be helpful.

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Feb 2005 23:10

Margaret Have you been sent the 1881 image to see whether he is named as John or whether its a mistake on the index? The name is ringing bells actually, is it one I did for you? Lou

Margaret

Margaret Report 4 Feb 2005 23:18

Hi Lou I am not sure what an image is or how you obtain it. I have the print out from familysearch which i use to get my information from. I then try to get more info to order certs.

Slinky

Slinky Report 5 Feb 2005 09:40

I have found an entry for Stephen George married to Elizabeth Smith :- Sept 1870 E. Preston 2b 485. I know it was not the London area...but I have found rellies who travelled, got married and came back to where they were born to live. Very difficult searches I know but sometimes it payed off to get the certs. Anne.

Margaret

Margaret Report 5 Feb 2005 12:40

Thanks Ann I have that marriage cert,He is the father of the John born 1880 that i am looking for. The family had moved to London after 1871 census

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Feb 2005 12:52

Hi Margaret I've checked the image for the 1881 census and it clearly states him as John aged 1 born Battersea. Have found Stephen and Elizabeth in 1891 but no children with them so no clues from that one either! Lou

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 5 Feb 2005 13:05

John Ruffs on the 1881 census: 1. John RUFF - 1881 British Census / Huntingdon Son Gender: Male Birth: <1878> Gt Staughton, Huntingdon, England 2. John RUFF - 1881 British Census / Middlesex Son Gender: Male Birth: <1878> Islington, Middlesex, England 3. John RUFF - 1881 British Census / Wiltshire Son Gender: Male Birth: <1879> Sutton Veny, Wiltshire, England 4. John RUFF - 1881 British Census / Middlesex Son Gender: Male Birth: <1880> St Lukes, Middlesex, England 5. John RUFF - 1881 British Census / Shropshire Nephew Gender: Male Birth: <1880> Clunbury (Clunbury), Shropshire, England 6. John RUFF - 1881 British Census / Surrey Son Gender: Male Birth: <1880> Battersea, Surrey, England 7. John RUFF - 1881 British Census / Derby Son Gender: Male Birth: <1880> Hasland, Derby, England 8. John RUFF - 1881 British Census / Radnor Son Gender: Male Birth: <1880> Llangunllo, Radnorshire, Wales 9. John RUFF - 1881 British Census / Surrey Son Gender: Male Birth: <1881> Kingston, Surrey, England Unless the Camberwell John died as an infant, he is a very good candidate. B

Margaret

Margaret Report 5 Feb 2005 13:27

Thanks Brenda I think you are right I will have to go for the Camberwell John Thanks everyone for the help.

Margaret

Margaret Report 7 Feb 2005 12:20

Thanks Mat That was very helpfull sorry I was so long in replying