Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Building use in Manchester

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elaine

Elaine Report 4 Feb 2005 14:37

Can anyone help me discover the use of 311, Chester Road Manchester in April 1884? This is the address both my g grandparents give on their marriage certificate. His occupation is Club Steward, so presumably they were both working there. However, straight after the wedding they disappeared to the US and become untraceable for several years. So this address is the last piece of solid evidence. A mystery. Many thanks. Elaine

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Feb 2005 17:46

Elaine It might have been a convenience address - lots of my relatives appear to be living together on their certs but apparently this was a way of avoiding having to have banns read in two different parishes. I'd contact the Manchester Central library or Records office as they are likely to have old street directories. Another possibility is to check out the street on the 1881 census. nell

Elaine

Elaine Report 4 Feb 2005 18:33

Thanks Nell, but it was a registery office wedding.. looks like they were in a rush to get to the US. Yes I will try the library. Can't check on 1881 as the district has masses of enumerator areas... 50 odd I think. Is there any way I can check which district without trying to read each in turn on Ancestry? Elaine

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 4 Feb 2005 19:04

Ask someone who is going to the FRC to do a quick look up. There are street indexes for all the major towns, which give census references.

Christine

Christine Report 4 Feb 2005 19:18

Hi Elaine I am not positive but I think 311 Chester Road is STRETFORD area of Manchester, that road is the main road and runs right from as it says Chester to Manchester and the areas around that are Sale Stretford and Manchester. Hope this helps a bit Chris

Elaine

Elaine Report 4 Feb 2005 23:26

Thanks everyome. Chris, yes those are the areas but the enumerator districts are more complicated than that, or so it appears.