Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Getting names wrong

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kazzie

Kazzie Report 3 Feb 2005 23:36

I have lost count of sites I have been on to find that a relatives name has been added wrong and put Thomasin Clayton instead of Claxton and even seen her added as Jamason,and know definatly her as married an Eli Fleet,have contacted a few people to correct them and 1 was having none of it till told her to look a Abbotsbury o.p.c and see for herself anyone else come across this at all? Kazzie(Karin)

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 3 Feb 2005 23:46

Yes Karin There's a lady who has part of my tree on 2 sites that isn't quite right. She's added a sister who doesn't exist and missed one that does - amongst other mistakes. I have emailed her and had no reply. My 5th cousin has contacted her and she replied saying she wouldn't change it. I have now uploaded my tree onto these sites - my way of sticking 2 fingers up at her! lol And while we're on the subject, what about the LDS site. Well, just don't get me started there! lol Jeanette x

Kazzie

Kazzie Report 4 Feb 2005 00:15

Yes I know really annoying wjen you know you are right,just had a look up on l.d.s for Thomasin and found she was baptised in 1808 and 1810,any idea who puts stuff on there is it relatives ect? My great grandmothers maiden surname was Mowlem but found it spelt Mowlam Moulam,Moulen,Mouldham and can be really frustrating Kazzie

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 4 Feb 2005 03:12

Karin, it is possible that the first Thomasin, christened in 1808 died soon after. It was quite common for parents to name a subsequent child with the same name as the one who died. The entries on LDS are from Bishops Transcripts and the film could be viewed at an LDS Family Centre near you. There are four older daughters of William & Mary Claxton listed Mary christened 10th May 1799 Sarah " 17th Feb 1804 Elizabeth " 25th Dec 1805 Ann " 02nd Aug 1807 The Batch No. is C158931 Date 1731-1879 Source Call No. 1279478 You can see if the information is from members (which is frequently inaccurate) or taken from original records by scrolling down the page. Sorry if you already know all this but thought it might help. Kathleen

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 4 Feb 2005 11:15

The other thing worth being aware of, is that people weren't always very strict about how their names were spelled in the past. In the nineteenth century it was more stable (though not absolutely fixed), but I have a copy of the probate version of my 17th century Gx10-grandfather's Will where he gives his own surname as NULAND, but his son gives his surname as NEWLAND. Christine

Kazzie

Kazzie Report 4 Feb 2005 14:05

Thank you Kathleen just checked the Abbotsbury burials and yes the first Thomasin did die 1809,I have been on that site so many times but never noticed that Karin