Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Tree Maker 2005 - good offer?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet

Janet Report 3 Feb 2005 10:48

Genealogy(.)com is offering Family Tree Maker 2005 for $29.99, plus "The Official Guide" for "only $5". The offer ends on 4 February. I assume it includes the free trial of Ancestry, but would this include UK records, or only American ones? Is this a good offer - would appreciate any comments. Janet

Heather

Heather Report 3 Feb 2005 12:10

Sounds very cheap. I think you do get the UK stuff but its not as easy to access as the uk membership. Someone on here has it because I think it is generally cheaper to join through the us site. The FT2005 is at least £29 here and the guide is extra. How long is the free trial for though? If you can get the offer someone on here was talking about last week, it was apparently a year!! Seems unbelievable as that is £70 and they were getting the FT prog and apparently a years sub for £50 or something.

Carol

Carol Report 3 Feb 2005 19:41

Before you buy check the shipping costs, they are extortionate. Carol.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 3 Feb 2005 20:53

As Carol says check the shipping costs and extras are ridiculously high. I upgraded last October from TWR Computing, one of the main UK distributors for about £30. http://www.twrcomputing(.)co.uk/ I would be very wary about the 'free' offers as you have no real guarantee that they will add any value to your research. Many are US based and useless unless you have interests there. Ancestry is worth looking at but do you homework and compare costs first. Good software though Peter

Janet

Janet Report 4 Feb 2005 11:34

Thank you all for your comments. Have decided to go for it and am awaiting delivery. Shipping cost is $15, so $50 total - slightly less than Amazon I think, and maybe the book will be useful. I hope it doesn't take too long to learn how to use it!