Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Merchant or Royal - how do I tell?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 2 Feb 2005 16:23

My grandfather was a shipwright as a civilian. I have pictures of him taken in 1917 and 1918 apparently 'on active service' - one in a (presumably)navy typical sailors uniform - NO HAT GRRRR! - and the other in a greatcoat, scarf and cap - NO SHIP'S NAME GRRR!. I have no idea where to go from here. How do I find out - with just his name - any more details about his war service. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks. Maz. XX

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Feb 2005 16:31

Hi Maz I've nudged up my thread of RN info, hope it might be of some use to you. Mandy :)

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 2 Feb 2005 18:03

Thank you Mandy, I have printed that out. I suppose though that I will need to know first if he was IN the RN and not the Merchant before I lay out my 25 quid. I suppose it will come down to a trip to Kew in the end - I will soon have enough to look at to justify a weekend stay!!! Thanks again for your help. Maz. XX

Natalie

Natalie Report 2 Feb 2005 19:14

Maz Hope you don't mind me putting in a similar request. I have ancestors 18th-19th century listed as 'Master Mariner' and 'Captain of a Trading Ship' or just plain 'Mariner'. Is there any way of telling whether they were Navy or Civilian. I feel a bit stupid admitting this, but I don't even know exactly what 'Merchant Navy' means! Apologies if I'm gatecrashing your thread, but I thought my query might tie in with yours. Also I've been on the boards long enough to know that you probably won't mind! Thanks Cheeky Nat

Natalie

Natalie Report 2 Feb 2005 19:16

PS. To Maz in East End.....perhaps we should do a 'group visit' to Kew, as I'm nervous about going on my own in case I look like a complete dumbwit! What do you think? Natalie

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 2 Feb 2005 19:21

Natalie, he ought to be at Kew, in the Merchant Navy. Google National Archives and look at their leaflets in the Getting Started section. Where they exist, the records are really good. Chris & Michael Watts have written a book "my ancestor was a merchant seaman, how can I find out more about him" which sets it all out. And Maz, yes, you ought to come to Kew! My weekends are getting chewed up at the moment, but I reckon there ought to be a Kew meetup, just to encourage everybody, cos the records really are wonderful. B

Paul

Paul Report 2 Feb 2005 19:22

This site might be of use to you. It is one of the Merchant Navy Association sites Paul www(.)mna(.)org(.)uk

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 2 Feb 2005 19:22

2 minds Natalie!

Natalie

Natalie Report 2 Feb 2005 19:34

Thanks, everyone. I think we should definitely do a Kew meet to track down all our Ancient Mariners. Is it open on Saturdays? If not I can do school holidays. If it is open weekends, how about, say, 2nd March? Any takers? Or any dates that other people would like? Perhaps I should start a new thread? What do you think, folks? Natalie

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 2 Feb 2005 21:38

Maz is the cap a matelot's style round cap or one with a peak? the latter wouldn't have a name. i have a feeling that during war time the names were removed from hatbands. Natalie, sounds as if your is Merchant Navy. (Royal Navy would be battleships etc, Merchant - as it sounds - cargo, passenger etc. - that is simplifying it.) Ann Glos

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 2 Feb 2005 21:42

Hi Natalie and all - of course I don't mind! I've had a look at the MNA site thanks Paul, they do research but its 35 quid for non-members - bit steep for me at the moment! Well, at Kew I need to look at this, at army records for about 4 people and at railway records for about 4 people. Plus I would be worried about being a dunce too! I reckon I would need at least 2 clear days there! Can't commit to a date at the moment - would need to set up summat with hubby and he travels a lot with his job so its tricky. If you are in the London area though, do you know about the meet in Victoria on the 12th?? Details are on the General Board, the more the merrier, please come! Thanks all for your suggestions. Maz. XX

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 2 Feb 2005 21:44

oh Anne, just seen your note! Its a sort of flat cap - not one of the round ones with a band for the ships name. Its more the sort of thing that they wear in the films when they are smugglers or fishermen !!!!! But in the other pic he looks like he has navy uniform - you know, with the collar and the ropy thing (is it a lanyard??) round his neck. I'm gonna put the photos in my album on the GC photospage, so you can see!!! Give me 5 mins! Maz. XX **** ok - done it!! - my album is on Page 3 right at the bottom, then the 2 photos are the last 2 in my album ****