Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

scotlandspeople

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

dutch

dutch Report 2 Feb 2005 10:18

how do i get the best from this site,as im new to all this,thank you for anyone who can help

Karen

Karen Report 2 Feb 2005 10:22

Hi, I would love to know this as well !! I registered and paid my £6.50 as I wanted to find the birth of my Great Grandfather. When I entered the details I knew it brought up hundreds of records, how do I 'whindle' them down?? I presume he was born in the south of scotland as he was in North Cumbria when he was aged 4 on the 1901 census. Also when I went back to the site it told me that my credits had expired even though I still had around 21 remaining..... don't qiute understand how it works!!! Kx

Val

Val Report 2 Feb 2005 10:43

If you go on scotlandspeople.go.uk £6 for 30 credits births and marriages are from 1554 to 1854 some don't have images you can order them though but they give mother and father's names and date born for births, then births go from 1855 to 1904 these don't give parents names but you can view them print of or save to print at later date. The deaths go from 1855 to 1954 and you can save or print off if right one they charge 5 credits to look at the certificates, the cencus are 1881 which charge 1 credit but again you can print or save the 1891 and 1901 charge 5 credits for. If you know the peoples name and where they live makes easier but always try different spellings if they don't show up or put just last names and what sex male or female they charge 1 credit for search but if you order certificates are £7 to £10 so if you can print them of works out cheaper. In the left hand corner when you log in tells you how many hours you have left to look and if it expires you put more credits you will get the ones left added on so you don't lose any

Barbara

Barbara Report 2 Feb 2005 13:21

Hi, I find it best to go for the census first and get a little more info, then go to the BDM. The searches only take one credit, it's the images that take 5. The forum has been discontinued, but the same people are at a new bulletin board at www. talkingscot(.)com At the moment the credits are lasting 168 hours, but they say this is temporary. Hope this helps. Barbara