Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

CWWG Help!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lindsay

Lindsay Report 2 Feb 2005 09:34

Does anyone know where I can find out the deatails of someone killed in WW1. The name is on the war graves site, but no parent details or location, only service number? Where can I find out more info? Thanks

Sandra

Sandra Report 2 Feb 2005 09:49

I think its Kew that hold the service records, you should be able to find it with his service number. or you could try documents online happy hunting sandra

Lindsay

Lindsay Report 2 Feb 2005 10:40

thanks!

Michelle

Michelle Report 2 Feb 2005 10:43

Linda, what sort of informationa re you after, parents??? Where were they from?

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Feb 2005 10:47

Lindsay If you go onto the National Archives site, using his Army number you should be able to locate his medal card. This will tell you what he was awarded for service during WW1. My grannie's brother died during WW1 and I've been lucky enough to find quite detailed information about him on the CWWG site. A lot of WW1 records didn't survive the bombings of WW2 but the ones that did are held at Kew. Unfortunately these aren't available online so its a case of physically going there or finding someone prepared to search for you! Lou

Lindsay

Lindsay Report 2 Feb 2005 12:13

Michelle: yes his parents. Their names were Thomas Black and Helen Black (ms Cameron).The son was called Robert and they came from Lanarkshire (maybe Fife!) Lou: Thank you, I will have a browse shortly!