Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

AVG update - how to do it

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Geoff

Geoff Report 2 Feb 2005 09:18

Geoff

Geoff Report 2 Feb 2005 09:19

Because of connection problems with the auto update, I have been updating my AVG7 manually. Here's how to do it. If you intend to use this information, I suggest you Copy and Paste it somewhere. READ THE LAST PARAGRAPH BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE. Things to do first. Make a new folder on desktop. Right-click on desktop. "New" "Folder" Rename "New folder" Right-click on "New folder", "Rename" then type AVG and press enter. Double click on the AVG icon on your taskbar - this will open the AVG Control Center. Double click on the box named Update Manager Make sure that the box labelled "Do not ask for the update source" is unchecked (no tick in it), then click OK. Click on "Information" at the top of the AVG control center page. Select "About AVG Free". You will see Program Version 7.0.300 Program base 265.8.(something - latest version is 4) Write down your Program Base number Connect to www.grisoft.*com (remove *) Click on the link Update "AVG 7.0 - AVI 265.8.4" You will find "AVG 7.0 - Priority update" If the Program Base number (which you wrote down, remember) has an "8" after the 265. download the FIRST update file. If the Program Base number (which you wrote down, remember) has anything other than an "8" after the 265. download the SECOND update file. Windows will ask whether you want to open or save the download file - select "Save". Save it in the new folder you created - Desktop/AVG. On the left of your AVG window, you will find "Check for Updates" - click it. You get the options Internet or Folder - choose Folder. Find the Desktop/AVG folder and click OK. AVG7 will now update itself. I have only used Windows98, but I see no reason why it should not work with a later version, however there may be detail differences in procedure. If someone uses a later version, perhaps they would point out any differences in this thread. THE LAST PARAGRAPH IF YOU DECIDE TO DO THIS, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK. I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY PROBLEMS, DAMAGE ETC WHICH MAY ARISE WHILE YOU ARE TRYING TO UPDATE YOUR AVG.

Joy

Joy Report 2 Feb 2005 09:27

I tried manually, then widows didn't recognise it!! Joy.

Joy

Joy Report 2 Feb 2005 09:30

Bob has put this on the general board. Here it is, with my replies. Joy .......... Free AVG.....Updates..??? Morning everyone......Help required.. Having downloaded the free version of AVG, I need to get the latest updates but AVG update cant find my internet connection. Is there anything I must alter? to get it to work? Thanks, for any help..........Bob ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Added By Joy Kentish Maid PTFG&A&G GC on 02/02/2005 09:10:01 | Update Message | Delete Message ah yes, I posted something on here and someone did on tips ... I'll have a look. Because of AVG server problems I changed to avast. back later Joy ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Added By Joy Kentish Maid PTFG&A&G GC on 02/02/2005 09:12:28 | Update Message | Delete Message ON the tips board, it is headed: AVG ANTI VIRUS I added to it the following. Joy Added By Joy Kentish Maid PTFG&A&G GC on 31/01/2005 10:43:39 | Update Message | Delete Message I posted a question about this on the general board: "Had been having trouble updating AVG so panicked - should I actually buy another one instead of using this free one we'd used for years, thought I, don't want a virus! Okay, they have Norton in a shop nearby, may buy that but had heard people having problems with Norton too!! Then I looked in the AVG forum site and found lots of people had had the same problem, and some suggested AVAST anti virus, so off I went and removed AVG and downloaded the other one. At least it was reassuring that it wasn't me but others had had the same problem! Now looking again at the AVG forum people are saying they have been able to update after all, and the server at AVG seems to have been fixed!! Help, please! Would you remove AVAST and go back to AVG if you were me?" and had a reply: "Just read "which" reports for February 2005 and they rate Avast 4.1 Home Edition (free) above Avg which came in second ! I am about to look at the this program , have been using Avg 7 and have problems updating." According to a computer mailing list, and the AVG forum, apparently it is updating ok at present. I shall stick with the AVAST and wait for a friend to come back to me who is trying out AVG again. Joy PS ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Added By Joy Kentish Maid PTFG&A&G GC on 02/02/2005 09:25:29 | Update Message | Delete Message You are welcome. I was terrified of having a virus when the AVG wouldn't work! We'd been happy with the 6 version, and then the 7 when it upgraded or whatever it's called to that. Then this happened!! panic!!! Do have a look at the avast forum, it's interesting, has over 10,000 subscribers. Oops, forgot to say, it is free like AVG. Good luck at the doctor's. :) Joy

Ann

Ann Report 2 Feb 2005 09:52

I am glad I am not the only one confused by AVG! lol Thanks for all the info guys , it's a great help to people like me who are struggling along! Ann

Keith

Keith Report 2 Feb 2005 09:55

Like Joy I was having problems with AVG Update so downloaded Avast yesterday, I noted that there had been 2,139,000 downloads last week so hope that they don't get overwhelmed, just in case have kept AVG. Keith

Joy

Joy Report 2 Feb 2005 09:58

Oh, Keith, didn't know you could keep AVG!! I got rid of it!! I think someone said there could be conflict if you did that, so off it went!!! Are you on the AVG forum? Joy

Joy

Joy Report 2 Feb 2005 10:00

Ann - I was struggling like mad, and am *not* computer literate, so in the end searched for advice, and found that in favourites I had saved the AVG forum. Now I can't remember if it was the AVG or the AVAST that had over 10,000 subscribers!!! :) Joy

Heather

Heather Report 2 Feb 2005 10:03

I downloaded avast but it said only an 88 day free trial? And then I got confused over what to tick or not tick, so uninstalled it!

Keith

Keith Report 2 Feb 2005 10:10

Joy as far as I can tell both still seem to be working OK, Avast updated this morning and had AVG trying to update same time as normal, it did say that there was a problem running with my Norton package but that was out of date so just removed it. Keith

Joy

Joy Report 2 Feb 2005 10:12

Ooh, didn't see that! Just had a go searching for free avast or freeware avast, and came up with Free avast! 4 Home Edition - Free antivirus software - free virus ... ... Select the right edition of avast! antivirus from freeware to large networks. avast! 4 Home Edition is a free antivirus software for home noncommercial use. ... www.avast*.*com/eng/avast_4_home.html - 31k - 31 Jan 2005 [remove *]. That's the one - Free avast! 4 Home Edition - Free antivirus software. Joy

Keith

Keith Report 2 Feb 2005 10:13

Heather They e-mail you with the key, and you just copy and paste it over, you have to re-register again in 14 months. Keith

Joy

Joy Report 2 Feb 2005 10:13

I must have a look at home later to make sure avast has done that. As I said am not computer literate!! Wonder how I'll know!! Joy

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 2 Feb 2005 14:20

Thanks, Geoff, your 02/02/05 at 9:19 posting did it for ME.......thanks to Joy for pointing me in your direction.......... Bob

Geoff

Geoff Report 2 Feb 2005 15:10

I'm glad to hear it Bob. I would suggest that you delete the file that you put in the AVG folder (but not the folder). All of your preliminary setting up will be saved, so tomorrow you can just go to the Grisoft site, download the first file to the AVG folder, click "update" in the Control Centre, select "Folder" and it should happen. (Of course, you may find that the Auto-update works anyway.)

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 2 Feb 2005 23:51

Oki doki -Geoff will do that,thanks for your help. Bob there are three items in the folder, u7avi447u392rz-----------bin file a shortcut, and avg70free_300a419.........I think that you mean this one?